Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

Anybody went from Grizzly to Wolverine?

5K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  reogem 
#1 ·
So here is my predicament and the only reason why I am considering trading. I have two small children and I am trying to incorporate them more into my riding because they love to go on my ATV. I only ride about 3 to 4 times a year (1 to 2 days each trip) but I do miss them and would alternate trips with them. My thought is to sell my Grizzly and purchase a Wolverine X2 two seater. I would appreciate any input or thoughts in general (money/ride quality/size/etc etc). I do realize the type of riding will change drastically but I believe most people will understand my thoughts for making some sacrifices. In the past I have ridden tight technical trials but my that has changed to more open tamed trials that easily accommodate sxs. I have rented a few side by sides in the past and though they were very comfortable. And my other question is if I do decide to do this is the r Spec really worth the 2k more than the base?? Thanks again!

#2 ·
Hey @joey2uv - your riding and family situation sounds very familiar. I live in the Twin Cities and I have to drive at least a couple hours to ride my machines so I don't get very many opportunities to ride - when I do, it's typically a short weekend. I have three kids and two are nearing driving age. We bought a 2016 R-Spec for fun and to teach our kids how to drive. My youngest is now 5 yrs old and he's my little shadow (Daddy's boy). The Grizzlies are great but I really enjoy the SXS with him as it's easier to have a conversation and enjoy the time spent together. I was lucky enough to be "allowed" to keep my quads but if I were forced to make a choice, I would ride SXS with my son (and the other kids - they just don't have the same level of interest).

Also, if I were in the market today, I would buy a new R-Spec in a heartbeat based on the updates over the previous Gen 1 machine. I have mine just the way I want it now and it's a great machine so I'm sticking with it.

Reactions: joey2uv
#3 ·
Thanks for that! I guess the R Spec is the way to go... Ultimately I am not ready to completely give up my atv which is in excellent condition and low miles. I ride very hard when I ride but I clean and maintain the heck out of it. Additionally I have quite a few high end accessories on it but as we all know accessories and maintenance mean nothing when it comes to selling price. So I really see no reason to sell it at this point the more I think about the situation. But in a few years I would pick up a side by side to bring my kids along. MNDirtRider you are spot on with keeping both and I will budget down the road for a side by side. Now the problem is trying to avoid dropping coin on some Elkas for the Grizz...LOL!

#4 ·
I am another guy who moved on from Grizzly's to a Wolverine. My wife had two roll over incidents with her 550 Grizzly and would get scared on steep inclines and descents after wrecking 30 some miles back in the mountains and had to ride out injured. The Wolverine saved us! She really enjoys the back country rides minus the anxiety of driving by herself. I did keep my 700 Grizzly to used around the house plowing and hauling, but the Wolverine is now our go to machine! The only downside at first was getting used to the restricted views compared to the Grizzly openness. The comfort of riding in a Wolverine is spectacular, with drink holders, a roof for sudden rainfalls, a tilting windshield for cold mornings and warm afternoons, and being able to talk to each other on the trail without having to stop all the time. I'd say go for it!

Reactions: joey2uv
#5 ·
@MORSNO hit the nail on the head when he speaks of riding comfort too. When I sit in my Wolvy, it fits me like a well-broken-in pair of boots. There are times when I much prefer to ride the quad but that's typically when I ride with buddies. My brother (he has 5 kids) and I (3 kids) have both adopted SXS machines for our families but ride quads every chance we get.

Reactions: MORSNO and joey2uv
#6 ·
All you guys bring up really good points... In the end I think I will wait a few years, drop some coin on the R-Spec and keep my Grizzly. No reason to sell it and waiting will give me a chance to save a few more bucks. Comfort is a nice touch especially being I am only 180 pounds and under my weight the Grizzly suspension doesn't cycle much. Whats the youngest you guys take your kids out on the Wolverine? I would like to start them at about 5 or 6 but is that too young?

#7 ·
We strapped in the booster seat and slapped a helmet and goggles on him at 3. I just cruise with him in the cab - no top speed runs.

#12 ·
Check out the Wolverine Forums, there are a few pics of baby seats installed between the front seats (keeps the mud off the little guys).

#13 ·
I sold my Grizzly 1-1/2 years ago and picked up a Teryx4. I have 3 children, all under 9 years old. I must say, the SxS is an adjustment. The only time I like the machine is when my kids are with me. Aside from that, I find a quad is a lot more fun. Once my kids are old enough to drive their own quads, I will be going back to a Grizzly or Brute Force.

#14 ·
What was hard for me to get used to was not being able to stand up and read the trail or water crossing to find where not to go. I have both and for the most part the wife and I drive the Grizz. When going into an unfamiliar area though we take both and I scout ahead a little with the grizz. It's like having a winch mounted to the back of the grizz when I get stuck...

#16 ·
Pull the plug get the machine that will accommodate the entire family. you would never regret that decision. You might had you not.
The Spousal Unit and I both owned Grizzly's.Rode the snot out of them. Wife was begging off more frequently on proposed rides. She was fine with me going and riding it like I stole it, but that ain't why I married her. I wanted her to see what I saw, to enjoy they views and the thrills of a steep ascent and then the ride down. She absolutely loved to ride her 550. Age has crept up on us like it will you.

Enter the Viking. We owned a '17 Viking for a short spell. Great machine. Just not what we wanted. The Grizz had a bit of pop to it. It could get out of its own way. Only drawback was the loose nut on the handlebars. We just wanted more than what the Viking was offering. We only had it for a month but we had decided to sell it or we never really gavin it a through going. The Viking was noisier than we expected. I'm sure I would have sorted that out. More Like a pickup truck. We sold it a couple that duck hunted with several Labs the added space was a bonus for them.

The 2020 Wolverine x2 R was what we had envisioned. More pop, better ride at speed, a bit quieter and admittedlya lot less spacious. If we both happened to get fatter during a ride we are not get out. You don't get in a Wolverine so much as put it on. I'm 5-10 and 190# and she 5-7 and less, we'll leave it at that.

Back to my opening statement. Don't Forget Your Kids. The time you invest with them will keep you from having to find a bail bondsmen at 0300. Facial expression Smile Fun Landscape Happy

Reactions: KodiakAfishyo
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.