Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 01 Big Bear 400 seems to keep fouling plugs... I can change the plug, let it run for a few mins to warm up, turn it off, then go and attempt to restart it and the plug will be all black. Pretty sure it’s gas on the plug when I pull it out as well, seems to dry up fairly quickly once it’s out of the cylinder.
On the initial start it seems to idle very high, the only way I can get it to a “normal sounding idle” Is to open the choke approximately 1/3-1/2 way. Once I hit the throttle, the idle skyrockets again.
The choke plunger was stuck last year, got it freed up using a little elbow grease and PB Blaster and replaced the choke cable. Replace the air filter as well.
I don’t drive it as often as I should which could be part of the problem. Hunting season, snow plowing, and the annual work outing. From what I am reading, running regular gas for the past 12 years of ownership may not have been helping either.
Any trouble shooting suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

·
Premium Member
10,958 Posts
I would drain the gas tank for fresh gas, and run a little sea foam through it to help clean the carb bowl and jets.
Just letting it idle, then shutting off can foul plugs that don't get hot at running temp.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts