Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 200 miles on my 01 600 since doing a complete frame off restomod now and started noticing a noise from the clutch side when at idle (probably there at higher rpm's as well but hard to hear with the HMF pipe). The noise sometimes goes away when shifted into neutral. It sounds a lot like a dry bearing and at first I thought it was the primary clutch support bearing in the clutch cover but after removing the cover that isn't it.

I know this isn't a lot of info to go on but anyone have any similar experience with a noise like a bad bearing that goes away in neutral? I'm going to pull the primary off and go into the wet clutch to inspect those bearing and the one way. I put a new centrifugal clutch and drum in it as well as a one way when I did the resto.

Also, how normal is it for the belt to be rubbing on the cover? I know with the mods I did to the clutch (orange secondary, 1.25 shim) it sits higher in the secondary. It's a factory Yamaha belt. Should I be worried about a bit of rubbing? It hasn't chewed up the belt at all.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Did you use a OEM oneway bearing, or aftermarket?

Belt rub is pretty common with shims. Especially common with shims and a worn belt.
As long as the belt is not wearing a hole in the cover and is not being effected any other way, your good to go.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was an aftermarket one. Are they known to cause issues?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've never dealt with a 600, but is your idle too high, causing the machine to creep at idle?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
It was an aftermarket one. Are they known to cause issues?
Aftermarket oneway bearings are a waste of money. They usually cause more issues than they cure, and never last very long when they do seem to work.
When it comes to oneway bearings, there is only one option.....OEM. This is well documented on this forum.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK. I will tear into the centrifugal tonight and let you know what I find. I will replace the one way with an OEM regardless of how it looks.

·
Premium Member
10,670 Posts
To know what you have, I suggest after you install the O.E.M. one-way bearing, install the primary without the shim to then count the pulley ratio. And without the shim determine if the noise is still there.
Then install the shim and count the new ration.
This helps you understand the set-up change and look at the different belt placement.
It has been determined by many members that O.E.M. one-way bearings and belts work best.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took the centrifugal apart and inspected all the bearings. They are all smooth and quiet when spun by hand. I had put all new quality bearings in there so I'm pretty confident they are ok. The aftermarket one way looks ok but the inner race it rides on has some pretty deep dents/grooves in it. The original centrifugal shoes were worn down to the metal and the race on it was badly dented/grooved as well so I installed a new aftermarket clutch assy and a Yamaha clutch drum. The outer one way race in the Yamaha drum is perfectly smooth still.

So how big of a deal is this? Both the inner and outer races on the factory clutch and drum were badly dented like this but they also had 10k on them. This aftermarket one has about 200 miles (I installed a US speedo assy) and is already exhibiting some deep grooves/dents. Should I just install an OEM one way and live with a bit of noise? I suppose I could install an OEM clutch assy but it's just going to get dented up as well eventually. The clutch shoes on this aftermarket one look just like new still so that part of it seems to be of reasonable quality.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Stupid double post!

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Took the centrifugal apart and inspected all the bearings. They are all smooth and quiet when spun by hand. I had put all new quality bearings in there so I'm pretty confident they are ok. The aftermarket one way looks ok but the inner race it rides on has some pretty deep dents/grooves in it. The original centrifugal shoes were worn down to the metal and the race on it was badly dented/grooved as well so I installed a new aftermarket clutch assy and a Yamaha clutch drum. The outer one way race in the Yamaha drum is perfectly smooth still.

So how big of a deal is this? Both the inner and outer races on the factory clutch and drum were badly dented like this but they also had 10k on them. This aftermarket one has about 200 miles (I installed a US speedo assy) and is already exhibiting some deep grooves/dents. Should I just install an OEM one way and live with a bit of noise? I suppose I could install an OEM clutch assy but it's just going to get dented up as well eventually. The clutch shoes on this aftermarket one look just like new still so that part of it seems to be of reasonable quality.

That was probably the cause of your noise, and yes, it is damaged and will need replacing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts