Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a kodiak that gets no power to any of the electrical components. I have a new battery, fuses are also new. When i turn the key I get no power to any lights or anything. The winch also gets no power. The starter relay is getting power as well as the starter motor. Does anyone know how to fix this?

THREAD MOVED TO ELECTRICAL & LIGHTING

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Check all connectors. If your handy with a multimeter or test light and have access to an electrical squematic you can track down your issue. Mite just be a one bad wire, connector, ground or faulty relay.

So the bike turns over? Does it start?

·
Registered
983 Posts
Mornin' Gene...you may confuse folks when you say "The starter relay is getting power as well as the starter motor."
thats probably if you jump the big lugs on the starter relay, correct? if so, starter relay is connected directly to battery...thats why its hot.

If not so, quit reading reading here. otherwise...

...your main power switch (keyswitch) has probably failed, common problem on your year/model bike, ...red wire supplies 12v from main fuse into switch. Brown wire supplies power out..guessing no primary power out on brown wire...for lights, cdi etc etc..confirm with DMM, test lite etc

after you replace the switch and fix the bike, remove the 2 plastic clips and pull the back off the old switch, ..you'll see the failure point..small springs load the switch wiper arm against the contact pads, those springs rust and break thus no contact..not bad service for 16 years...

oh bite the bullet and get the yamaha oem switch..the supercheap ones you find on ebay are often intermittent.
walt

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Mornin' Gene...you may confuse folks when you say "The starter relay is getting power as well as the starter motor."
thats probably if you jump the big lugs on the starter relay, correct? if so, starter relay is connected directly to battery...thats why its hot.

If not so, quit reading reading here. otherwise...

...your ignition switch has probably failed, common problem on your year/model bike, ...red wire supplies 12v from main fuse into switch. Brown wire supplies power out..guessing no primary power out on brown wire...for lights, cdi etc etc..confirm with DMM, test lite etc

after you replace the switch and fix the bike, remove the 2 clips and pull the back off the old switch, ..you'll see the failure point..small springs load the switch wiper arm against the contact pads, those springs rust and break thus no contact..not bad service for 16 years...

oh bite the bullet and get the yamaha oem switch..the ones you find on ebay are often intermittent.
walt
Good call.

Yesterday my original post on this thread was he had a failed ignition switch , but carefully rereading his post, the comment of the starter and relay still getting power made me second guess myself.

Reactions: waltinbatonrouge
1 - 4 of 4 Posts