Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been awhile,Anytime we hit deeper water(over the belt housing) my 660 dies,the belt slips and it doesn't move.The belt housing fills up with water and has to be drained before I can move again. Is there a fix for this? A new housing gasket? Apply silicone to the gasket? Is there even a gasket in there?

Thanks

·
Registered
370 Posts
It's either a gasket or one of the air ducts. Check #'s 18, 19, 22 and 25.

If you apply silicone, you might have a hard time getting back in there later on.

Reactions: GSbaker

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
It's either a gasket or one of the air ducts. Check #'s 18, 19, 22 and 25.

If you apply silicone, you might have a hard time getting back in there later on.
Completely agree.
You do not need silicone if a other OEM seals are good and the ducting snorkels are not off.
Inspect the plastic snorkel tubes for proper fitment and condition and security. If a clamp comes off, the tube will pop out and let water in. The tube may be cracked allowing water entry.
There is 2 snorkel tubes to check. The front one is the intake and attaches to the front of the engine near the front deiveshaft, the rear one is exhaust and attached to the back if the belt box.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,I think I'll get all those gaskets and check the snorkels while I'm doing that

·
Registered
147 Posts
Look for a hole in the cvt hose held on with clamp #34. If it's not aligned properly the front drive shaft will wear a hole in it.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Been awhile,Anytime we hit deeper water(over the belt housing) my 660 dies,the belt slips and it doesn't move.The belt housing fills up with water and has to be drained before I can move again. Is there a fix for this? A new housing gasket? Apply silicone to the gasket? Is there even a gasket in there?

Thanks
Everyone above has great suggestions.. I know when I had my 660 back in the day , It has a small clear Sight drain tube on the front air duct housing , and mine came off once.. flooded CV. Just want to throw that out , to look for it to be on yours. They later eliminated it on the 700 models.

As for it dieing , could be steam issue. Also make sure your carb drain (overflow)line is plugged , as it can suck water up into carb. Remove the plug when hauling , to avoid flooding your engine with gas.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guess I should clarify dieing,I just lose forward movement from belt slipping

·
Premium Member
7,910 Posts
GSbaker.....you sure are small and young looking..for 57.

Also check that all the air duct work is connected on the CVT housing.

Steam is the enemy of 660's.. Best fix is the nut buster snorkel. Cheap and easy.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Look for a hole in the cvt hose held on with clamp #34. If it's not aligned properly the front drive shaft will wear a hole in it.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Good call. I had forgot about this issue. Seen it a few times.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts