Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I’m new to atv’s. Picked up a 02 big bear for hunting, it’s in pretty good working order but I’ve have some concerns.
it’s hard to shift into first. Is that normal? I adjusted to clutch and it seems to be better. 2-5 and reverse are easy.
2. when I first got it a week ago I was able to start it while it was in gear. I never saw the oil light at all. Now today I have to be in neutral. If not the oil temp light will come on and it won’t start. Starts right up in neutral. But as it starts the oil temp light gives a flash. I only road it for maybe 5 min.
3. 4x4 works, 4x4 light doesn’t come on but I hear the 4x4 actuator and I’ve used it. I just assumed the light is out. Is that common? The connector is hooked up.
4. speedo doesn’t work, I haven’t looked into it yet, doesn’t really matter to me. I’ll track down the cable and spin it and see if the meter works.
but I appreciate any info. Thanks

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Shifting can be difficult with old dirty oil or idle rpm to high.
Use a good quality engine oil and do regular oil changes. I know Amsoil does wonders for smoother shifting. But that is expensive and not required.
Adjust idle rpm a little lower to see if shifting improves.

The oil light will illuminate any time you press the starter button. That is normal operation. It's the test function of the light.
If the start in gear feature is not working, check the safety switch on the left handlebar perch. Use a small blade screwdriver to remove it from the perch and see if the plunger is stuck on the switch. Clean and lubricate the switch plunger. Be best to simply zip tie put of the way so you never have to pull the left brake again to start it in gear.

The 4x4 light could be blown bulb, a bad contact at the bulb, dirty connector at the actuator, bad wiring or bad sensor switch. Clean all contacts and remove/inspect bulb and contact.

Speedo is most likely a broken drive cable. Most common issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply, After some research I did find that ya the oil light comes on as a checker when you start it.
I’ll try changing the oil. The guy I got it from said they just did it but who knows. I adjusted the clutch and it seemed to get better. before going into first I used to have to almost put my weight into the lift. 2-5 no problems at all, goes in good and also reverse. Adjusting the clutch I just referred to the manual. I turned it counter clockwise. It says until you feel tension but I dont know how much but I 1/8 turned it back and set the locking nut.
so without taking anything really apart I check all the connections with the 4x4 light and everything seems good. I’ll check the bulb tomorrow.
today I did adjust the front/ rear brake lever, I’ll take it apart again tomorrow and see if that switch is stuck. Makes sense. Again thank you I appreciate it

1 - 3 of 3 Posts