Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all . I am picking up a 2002 660 on Monday . I am new to the ATV scene . I am really just getting it to use on hunting trips . No crazy mud runs or anything like that . What do I need to look for and what if any mods do I need to do to insure the longevity of my new to me quad ? It is all stock as it sits now and has 2062 miles and 525.8 hours on it . Thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hello all . I am picking up a 2002 660 on Monday . I am new to the ATV scene . I am really just getting it to use on hunting trips . No crazy mud runs or anything like that . What do I need to look for and what if any mods do I need to do to insure the longevity of my new to me quad ? It is all stock as it sits now and has 2062 miles and 525.8 hours on it . Thanks
I've got a 2003 660 Grizzly, and I use it mainly for hunting and farm work as well.

My favorite mods I have done to mine are the fender flares, and my Kolpin ATV rear lounger. The fender flares keep me and my Grizzly clean when the trails turn to mud, and my Kolpin rear box holds all my gear and keeps it dry/clean as well.

I would suggest those mods, and a good set of tires, and the 660 will do everything you need it to do.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
-tires for sure, brand and size for what your explaining there are a lot of options.
-winch
-Shim for the clutch
-2" receiver hitch would come in handy too
-gun rack

You could get by with less but all those will help you

·
Registered
44 Posts
-tires for sure, brand and size for what your explaining there are a lot of options.
-winch
-Shim for the clutch
-2" receiver hitch would come in handy too
-gun rack

You could get by with less but all those will help you
I see a lot of talk about "shim for the clutch". I have a general idea of what you are talking about, but I have no idea what the benefits of shims are. Care to explain?

·
Premium Member
10,089 Posts
I see a lot of talk about "shim for the clutch". I have a general idea of what you are talking about, but I have no idea what the benefits of shims are. Care to explain?
More snap off the line is the benefit. It produces the same feel as a bigger rear sprocket on a dirt bike.
These have pulleys and the shim widens the front (primary pulley) which raises the pulley ratio which magnifies the torque produced.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Welcome from Arizona. The first thing I would do is change all the fluids, this will give you chance to give it a good inspection at the same time.
As for mods, I would start with tires. As you ride more mods will come to mind, if not just check in here. There will be plenty of people to help you spend your money!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Here is my 03' Grizzly 660 and the list of mods it has:

3000# Wireless winch
Yamaha Overfenders
Kimpex Fender Guards w/foot pegs
Kolpin Rear ATV lounger
HMF slip-on exhaust
2" Gorilla lift kit
1.5" aluminum wheel spacers
Duro Power Grip tires

To be honest, I could do without the slip-on exhaust, lift kit, and wheel spacers. They came on the Grizzly when I bought it.

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
Hey..Wade..Welcome to GC from Wisconsin.
Download a service manual. Only 10 bucks..worth hundreds. You will find nearly all the info you need to maintain your new rig.

X2 on change all of the fluids and oil filter. When you drain engine and dif's the watch for milky looking fluids. Keep an eye on all the seals for weeping. DO NOT switch to synthetic oil or fluids. Machines that old will start leaking at the seals.
Grease the rear knuckle bushings. The 02's have u-joints on the front drive shaft grease them.

Clean and oil the airfilter

If the tires are bad replace them.

If your not ripping up the trails, mudding, hauling heavy loads or trailers. Don't worry about messing with the CVT. However I would consider servicing the CVT. Clean the primary and the secondary. Have close look at the belt for wear and checking.

·
Registered
369 Posts
That is a nice machine. I think I would just ride it. You can always eliminate or change any of the mods already done.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Since you're new to ATV's, here is some experience based advice when buying. The 660 is a great machine! Let it be known that I'm not trying to scare you off here. I've bought two 660's in the past 4 years. One for me that I ended up trading for my 700. The other one was for my Dad. Mine had ~900 miles in really good shape and had a top-end rebuild on the motor. The wet clutch ended up being smoked. The second one for my Dad was in really good shape and all stock with 2000 miles but is now burning a little bit of oil. The air filter was dirty and I had second thoughts but bought it anyway.

This is just advice here but from my experience, before you buy it, check the air filter and oil level cold. Ask the owner to open up the air box so you can take a look at the filter. If he fumbles with the process or can't remember how to get into it, you know he hasn't cleaned it regularly. When the filter is out, check the air intake to see if there's dust/dirt in there. If it's dirty, either negotiate down on price or walk away. If it's dirty, there's a decent chance it will be burning oil soon (if it doesn't already). If the filter is clean, oil is full and clean, and the guy can provide relevant service records you are in good shape. They are really very bullet-proof machines if it gets good gas, oil changes, and clean air. Don't be too alarmed if it's cold blooded. It seems that most 660's are.

Also, check for torn CV boots and listen for clicking when you turn the steering on your test ride.

If it all checks out, have fun with your new ride. Do the suggested maintenance from the posts above and use a torque wrench on all drain plugs. X2 on buying a service manual!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts