Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 02 grizzly 600 pours all the gas out of the side of it. The place where it leaks looks like there could be hose. There are 2 random looking hoses that dangles nearby. Ive included a pic of the situation. Anyone that can help me id appreciate it. Thx.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,705 Posts
I think the float is stuck open, and the engine may have gas in the bottom end.
I don't know if the carb plumbing on your 660 is like mine, but the opening looks to be the lowest point for extra gas to drain from.

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
If gas is coming out through that hole, then your Airbox and cylinder should have gasoline in it as well. Inspect those before trying to start it.

This is caused by a stuck float in the carburetor, or worn needle and seat in the carburetor or something is stuck under the needle and seat.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, so i need to check and clean the float/needle. Im assuming these are inside the carb. Im not experienced in working on atvs. Although im okay if i have some videos/guides to help me. So is this something i should have a shop deal w or simple enough for me to do myself.

·
Premium Member
10,705 Posts
It will take more time to get to the carb, than to get the carb off.
I suggest a F.S.M. before starting the project, to get you lined out on the process.
Go to tradebits.com for a manual.
Also, I replaced the slotted screws in the bowl with hex head screws.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so ive checked out some vids and was able to take it off myself. Had to take off front panels and rack, took off tank, and then carb. Ive got a rebuild kit ordered. Waiting on it. Im wondering where all i should check for gas. I checked airbox. Looked like gas had been in there. Smelled like it. Probably going to clean that box and get a new filter.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where is the cylinder, is it hard to get to? What is the bottom end? Does it need checked too and how?

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
Pull the spark plug and crank the engine over. This will get any standing gas out of the engine cylinder. Do not stand there looking into the cylinder when you do this. You’ll take a gasoline shower. Change the oil. The factory service manual from tradebit.com is a great idea. It will be an electronic version but I just print them out.

The carb isn’t rocket science. Like has been said, it may be as simple as a stuck float. Pay close attention to your jets. They have very small holes that need to be clear of debris and junk. Carb cleaner and compressed air usually works for me but you may need to use some very fine wire to get stubborn debris out of there. Watching a few vids will give you most all the education you need on them. Taking lots of pics while disassembling is a really good idea. If you remove adjustment screws to rebuild it, bottom them out first and count the turns to get there. Record these numbers. Then when you put it back together, bottom them out again and back them off to the correct setting. Then fire that sucker up and go have some fun!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help. Ive been enjoying working on my own stuff. I think i should be able to get it revived now. I may go ahead and replace the spark plug too. I did take some dissasembly pics while taking the carb off. It does help a lot.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ive gotten my rebuild and have the carb mostly took apart. I cant seem to find a video with my carb model being used. So I need to know how many jets there is and where the jets are.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so ive got carb tore down and cleaned up. Been putting it back and replacing new parts. Having an issue with the jet/screw beside the needle area. There was a spring that came out under that jet. Having some serious trouble getting the spring and new jet/screw back in right. The spring must not be getting pushed all way down. I tried cpl times and the spring was forced on the jet/screw. I took pics best i could. Im afraid of damaging the new jet. And also does this jet just get screwed in snug or does it need to be adjusted, like the fuel/air mixture jet. Which i did record and set for 2 3/4s turns.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
There should be no spring on that pilot jet.
That spring should go on the pilot needle, which screws into the carburetor throat. The pilot needle will be a certain amount of turns out from seated position. If you did not record or count this before removing the pilot needle, then consult the manual. It will be on there.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did bottom out and record 2 & 3/4 turns for the pilot needle. I got a service manual now and see it shows as you said, no spring, ill remove that. From what i can tell the pilot needle (mixture jet screw) is the only one i had to bottom out and record turns for. I see the manual shows the adjustment should be 3 & 1/2 turns out? Should i set it to this?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also what is this area on the carb in the pic. The manual just refers to it as coasting enricher diaphragm. Doesnt say anything else. Should i leave this alone or is it something i should open up and check/clean?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
I did bottom out and record 2 & 3/4 turns for the pilot needle. I got a service manual now and see it shows as you said, no spring, ill remove that. From what i can tell the pilot needle (mixture jet screw) is the only one i had to bottom out and record turns for. I see the manual shows the adjustment should be 3 & 1/2 turns out? Should i set it to this?
Set it to what the book says. Then make small adjustments from there if required.

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
Also what is this area on the carb in the pic. The manual just refers to it as coasting enricher diaphragm. Doesnt say anything else. Should i leave this alone or is it something i should open up and check/clean?
You should be able to leave that alone. There is usually a gasket that can get damaged during removal. If you don't have this gasket, I'd just leave it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay so i have gotten the carb back on. Attempted to start, idled rough and quit. I put a lil seafoam in the fuel and oil, hoping this would smooth it out. Started it again, sounded better, but still quits almost immediately. Could it be pilot jet needing adjusted? Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
When you rebuilt the carb, did you check and reset (if required) the float height?
It will not run correctly if the float height is not correct.

If you are running a stock cylinder and piston, stock intake and stock exhaust then all you need in the carb is factory sized parts. You should not need to replace jets with different sizes in a factory setup carb for a factory setup engine.

·
Registered
937 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts