Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, got a new one (well at least for posting, been working on it for at least 2 months) 02 660 no start. came in with a cheap chinese carb on it and was barely running, swapped to oem carb that the customer still had and drove it from shop storage to shop floor ( still ran poorly) installed a new spark plug and all of a sudden, no start. swapped back to old plug and no start. checked valves and timing, timing was off a tad bit, reset timing and valves, had verified by a second tech, still no start. this thing wont even pop off on starting fluid. compression checkes at 130 psi. Any ideas?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you checked the spark plug wire where it screws into the spark plug cap. It may not be getting good contact.
I have been thinking about that as I think the spark is "dim", but we hooked up an inline spark tester to test the spark gap, and that checked out, dim, but good. heck, it was still consistantly sparking with a .5" spark gap

·
Registered
6 Posts
Spark plug boots get sketchy on the high mileage 660's because they wear out (just happened to mine). I would see first if the connections on the wire are loose, if not, i would take the boot off and inspect it. I just ordered a new one. Very strange.

·
Premium Member
11,436 Posts
If the ether will not burn you have no fire....
Plug wires get/develop a carbon build up inside the plug wire over time and use....that and you may have pulled the boot loose from the wire. These are low compression engines as you learned when the ether didn't light with no spark, like diesel will without a spark under very high compression.

·
Premium Member
8,347 Posts
Check the stator...Possibly the pulse coil is fried or wiring is bad. The rotation coil part of the stator may also be fried.
Check the ignition timing could have a sheared woodruff key.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts