Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I need to remove the front wheels to rebuild the diff, and I noticed that the stud is stripped from the hub, resulting in the nut not coming off... It's in one of the recessed holes, and the hole through the wheel is pretty small. Any ideas on how to get this nut off?

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Slap an impact on it and see if you can get it to grab while tightening the nut. If it does keep on it till she snaps

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Well, here is what I would do. Grab your drill some cutting oil and you bag of patients. Start dead center with a 1/8 drill bit and drill through the nut and into the stud till the depth of the drill bit is past the base of the nut. Then step up to a 1/4" bit and do the same then to a bit that is a C-hair larger then the wheel stud and drill the stud out till the nut falls off. If you encounter the stud still spinning while trying to drill you can wedge a flat washer on the side of the nut... this is what I would do .... go slow keep it straight

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
If you have access to a mig welder, tack the stud to the hub. Only a tack, and nothing more. Once the nut is off, replace the stud. You can remove and clean up the weld using a grinder.

Of course this is only optional if your hubs are steel. Aluminum will not work.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Be pretty hard to get a welder through the disk break. Or through a rim

·
Registered
10 Posts
You can get to the back of the stud, but it is impossible to tack steel stud to an aluminum hub.
If you can get to the back of the stud it may be easier to drill a hole and use an easy-out to carefully hold the stud while impacting the nut off.
You should start pricing a new hub because it is probably stripped enough to not hold a new stud any better than the one you are having trouble removing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts