Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a new-to-me grizzly just recently, don't know much about them yet but very mechanically inclined..

Worked well for most of the day idled a lot and noticed she started running hot. Let her cool a bit.. hour later she started to make a grinding noise at about 5MPH and lose acceleration.

The grinding sounded like gears not aligned, and it's a little stiff to shift.. the LHNRP lights don't always light up first go.. I do still have full power in reverse.

I tried adjusting the linkage, but it didn't change much at all... I adjusted it both directions with minimal difference if any.

Sometimes you hop on and get an hour without issue.. but then other times you have to go back where you started in reverse.

I purchased it to use to get around at work and need it very soon.. so all help is appreciated.

Thank you!!

·
Premium Member
2007 grizz 660 camo sold 2019 honda passport 2001 breeze 125
3,579 Posts
Welcome have u checked the cvt area with the cover off?

·
Premium Member
3,579 Posts
Maybe oneway bearing is toast google bad oneway bearing sounds an compare it

·
Premium Member
3,579 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hard to say, the thing is.. the video you shared seems like it's in park, or neutral... It works fine in reverse (was actually going about 11MPH in reverse to get back).. just it's a hit or miss whether i can get it up to 35, or if makes the noise and doesnt let it go further.. Not sure around what speed it would go into second gear, but it almost sounds like two gears are not meshing right.. the guy i bought it from mentioned it might not go into gear that well if is idling high.. so to try starting it in gear and check... didnt change anything.. I tried to get a video of the sound but since bought it back home.. need it for work again next week so want to try and diagnose it.. im going to look up the one way bearing in the mean time.. I seriously thought it was the linkage for the gear selector.. besides the obvious bar, is there anything internal or at the knuckle that would be able to be adjusted? Any suggestions on what i should look into now that it's home? Was thinking about checking all fluids, removing the drive belt cover and inspecting the belt, etc.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Could be the rear drive shaft splines are stripped. Does it do that in 4wd?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The noise is coming from the front/side dedicatedly not behind me.. I took off the primary cover and visually I feel it looks ok..

Haven't had a chance to test it in a large area to replicate.. any other ideas or things to try?

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Your video is basically useless all I hear is the exhaust pipe shield rattling. CVT seems to be functioning as it should.
Is the machine in gear and not moving?? IS that what you are trying to show?
Again doe it have the same symptoms in 4wd?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I forgot to check about 4wd.. it was only making the noise at the beginning of the video.. while it was driving it wasn't making the noise, like you said that was the exhaust.. but the noise while revving I was trying to show where the noise was coming from.

Next time I take it out I'll check about the 4wd

1 - 11 of 11 Posts