Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello from S.Dak i just bought this machine it runs acct. the seller had to get carb rebuilt. This is going to get a lot of use come spring- my concern is where do i start on prepping it for spring it had a orv trail sticker for 2009 last time it had been run I drove onto trailer and off that's it

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Service both clutches.
Service the brake caliper slide pins
Replace all fluids.

That will get you started.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Welcome to GC from Maine. x2 on what @dezz said. It doesn't have many miles on it, but who says everything was tight when it was new, it's 15 years old, and how has it been ridden? I would also give it a good pressure wash, let it dry. Then check all the suspension parts for wear or anything that might be loose like ball joints, tie rod ends, bushings, nuts and bolts, wheel lug nuts( get a service manual and a torque wrench and use it) cotter pins, any grease fittings etc. Put in a new spark plug and air filter, fuel filter if there is one. Have a good look at any hoses, anything rubber that can degrade. Drain the gas if it has the old gas in it, put in fresh gas and some ethanol treatment, check the air pressure in the tires, fire her up and go for a rip!!!

Reactions: yamx2

·
Registered
173 Posts
few things to add to the excellent posts above..
2 years ago we bought a 01 and a 04 Kodiak for myself and wife, both with low miles especially the 04. I went over both quads with a fine tooth comb and didn't find much. the 01 I did upper a-arm bushings/ removed the upper and lower front shock bolts and reinstalled with lock tight{ the bolts had self tightened to much and was causing a annoying squeak when riding}. check the front and rear cvt snorkel's where the mount to the primary cover , the 01 front clamp was very loose. oil change/ front rear diff fluid change and coolant flush. since then we have put a bunch of miles on them with zero problems.
things I have done to both quads to make them more trail worthy is...
mine the 01 - 1mm primary shim / blue secondary spring and a new belt. installed 26 by 9 inch wide front and 10 inch wide rear k299 bear claws.
wife's 04 - hers has gotten the 1mm shim in primary, secondary spring this year / 1 inch wheel spacers and 25 inch k299 bear claws( she rode mine and didn't like the increased steering effort when stopped to turn the wider tires but liked how much more stable mine felt with the wide flat tires when ridding, hence the wheel spacers)

we are not fast riders, so I wanted low end power and increased stability for trails.so between the shim mods and tires the quads handle great. my wife is a fairly new rider and I could see the difference in her confidence immediately after the improvements. I really like the bear claws I have gone through some pretty deep mud holes and made it out the other side...

Reactions: mainehunter

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info on the mods you have done concerning the handling- this is going to be the wife's machine and it's good to know what worked for you. I hope to go out today and set it up on jackstands see how stable it is. every time I go out to garage i just start grinning on how lucky i feel on finding this machine thanks again Colvin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts