Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there away to test the display off the 4 wheeler or test the wiring? I had a bad battery that smoke the cdi. I replaced both and now only the display is not working I've cleaned the fuse and even replacement them all. I have power from two wires going to the display. So I know the backup fuse and the ignition fuse are good. I would like to apply power to the backup led in the display to see if it's the wiring on the atv is bad

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just curious if you ever resolved this? I have the same problem. Just replaced the CDI from bad battery smoking it. Checked the same thing and now I'm at the same place.
thanks
AJ

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No i have not fixed it. I took it to a dealer and they plugged it into another grizzly and it did not work. I did open it up and checked a transformer but the rest of it was surface mount Electronics. I looked into a aftermarket display

I do not have the money to fix it right now. I just ride it will out the display hoping it does not overheat on me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I got my griz working after replacing the CDI and bought a good USA battery this time around (doesn't pay to buy the cheap ones). The display is bad also just like yours. $350 for new. I bought one that looks pretty beat up on EBAY.
I also took mine apart, I agree with you, not much to be done there besides checking the wires inside of module also. I was hoping to find something obvious that maybe I could fix. I should be able to use my old face plate and replace the scratched up display on the one I got coming. Thanks for the heads up. Very wierd how the battery could take out the CDI and the display in the first place. My battery is dead and won't hold a charge. I thought for sure that my regulator was bad also but is wasn't.

thanks..Alan

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
How do you store your atv? Mine is in a 40 foot shipping container its not 100% sealed but gets hot. If I were you I wouldn't open it to replace the screen. All you really need is the temp light to work. Someone on here also installed a Trail Tech Vapor Tach display.
grizzlycentral.com/forum/grizzly-accessories/32021-trail-tech-vapor-tach.html

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well, if I have problems with the used display that I have coming in the mail, I may have to try that. I don't want to spend $350 for a new display. I would rather get my griz back to the way it was originally if possible. Thanks for the info and video.
AJ...

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
Looking at the electrical diagram there is a fuse that appears to protect the display. It is listed as the #4 backup fuse.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My display came in and for the most part it works. My Grizzly is back up and running. The total damage from a cheap Chinese battery:
1) American battery (2 yr warranty) = $120
2) CDI = $100 (amazon) link=> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019CTO7E4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
3) Display = $80 (used EBAY)

The only fuses that were blown was the 10A ignition fuse that gave me the original short and that was do the power and ground pin shorted inside of the CDI unit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have an update to this problem. I was idling my Griz while checking other things for functionality since I replaced my display. Luckily I had a meter on my battery the entire time. The battery read about 13V when not fired up but when running bumps to about 14.3V (charging). This sounds good. But after about 5 minutes of running, I noticed the voltage bumped up to 19V!! I immediately shut the Griz down. The regulator breaks down after a few minutes of running. I waited a little bit and turned it on again just to repeat and sure enough, same thing. I unplugged the regulator and did it again to see if any big stator voltage jumps and I did not see any. I ordered a new regulator. Now this all makes more sense since I did not really understand how a battery going bad could take out so much stuff. A regulator going bad and putting out way to high of voltage to the whole system makes sense. Luckily I did not go for a ride before noticing this, I would have destroyed everything again.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My display came in and for the most part it works. My Grizzly is back up and running. The total damage from a cheap Chinese battery:
1) American battery (2 yr warranty) = $120
2) CDI = $100 (amazon) link=> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019CTO7E4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
3) Display = $80 (used EBAY)

The only fuses that were blown was the 10A ignition fuse that gave me the original short and that was do the power and ground pin shorted inside of the CDI unit.
I have the cdi also fuming and the screen does not work,
I bought the atv with that problem, what can a poor battery to cause this breakdown?

I think the cdi tuning shortens engine life

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would check the regulator/rectifier since (like mine) if it goes bad, it could put out 20V (regulator craps out) that will fry the battery and destroy the sensitive electronics (display and CDI). Check this by putting a voltmeter on your battery and start your machine. It should read about 14.3-14.7V. Mine did this but after about 10 minutes of running it gets hot and breaks down it then shot to 20V. Immediately shut down and replace. I stewed over how a shorted battery could cause this (just didn't except it) then I seen it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would check the regulator/rectifier since (like mine) if it goes bad, it could put out 20V (regulator craps out) that will fry the battery and destroy the sensitive electronics (display and CDI). Check this by putting a voltmeter on your battery and start your machine. It should read about 14.3-14.7V. Mine did this but after about 10 minutes of running it gets hot and breaks down it then shot to 20V. Immediately shut down and replace. I stewed over how a shorted battery could cause this (just didn't except it) then I seen it.
would have to find some kind of limiter diode 15v

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just replace the regulator, it's job is to regulate under 15v. If you're frying things, this is the problem. You can get them on amazon for as little as $15. It is located under the left fender on my 2004 griz.

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
Page 3-64 in the 660 owners manual indicates there is a 10 amp odometer fuse.

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
Sorry....service manual.

Sent from my ME172V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts