Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried doing some research on how to snorkel. I have about 15' of 1.5" spa tubing I would like to use. I know about the vent lines and how to snorkel them. I know that I need to buy some heat tape for the tubes near the exhaust and motor. Are the belt intake and exhaust boots both 3"? What is the best way to go from the stock coupling to the tubing? What parts need some sealant, like rtv, on them? I would also like to convert to PVC for the risers (that come out of the hood). Is a 1.5" inner diameter enough flow for the belts? For the Intake,I plan on doing two 1.5" tubes. What are the chances ill need to jet?

·
Premium Member
10,180 Posts
I haven't done this mod but remember from years ago others posting thread on this.
From memory going smaller in diameter doesn't work as well, and all joints need to be sealed.
As for parts needed, those d.i.y.'er's have made many trips to the hardware store, maybe someone will have a parts list, I bet not.
Seal all electrical connections too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the inner of the pipes are 3", but it takes some work to get a 3" reducer bushing on. I did tow a loaded down trailer, in low gear, up our yard with no belt smoke. I used some 1.5" nipples to go from PVC to the flex tubing. When I leaked checked them, off of the bike, they bubbled at that joint. Do yall have any ideas on how to seal that? I do have hose clamps at every rubber to PVC joint. Including the leaky nipple connection.

·
Premium Member
10,180 Posts
Hum....
Is the flex hose collapsing/wrinkling when clamped causing the leak?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do not think so. I believe the ridges in the hose are preventing a seal. I may try tightening it more by hand. I used a porter cable impact to try and prevent overtightening the clamps.

·
Premium Member
10,180 Posts
You might consider sanding for a smooth fitment.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I decided to use pipe glue for a seal. Using the glue and a clamp, as tight as I could do, it would not bubble like it did the previous time. I will do this for all of the belt connections then pressurize the system to try and find leaks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so, I pressurized the belt system and found the belt box to be leaking. It is between two bolts on the cover. The bolt on the left will torque to the 7.2 ft/lb, where the right will. I imagine that the threaded insert is slipping in the plastic. I was thinking of buying some longer bolts and putting some nuts on the back to secure it. What is an easy and good way to correct this?

·
Premium Member
10,180 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I believe that grommet is just for the drain. There appear to be no threads in it. I think I either stripped the threadded inserts, that are embedded into the back housing (part 17), or the plastic around the insert is slipping.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts