Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently acquired a 05 Grizzly 660. Bought it with the understanding that it needed new top end. Previous owner said heard a loud bang and would not turn over. Upon inspection there was a rocker arm broke and multiple valves hit and punched a good size hole in the piston. The connecting rod seems fine with very little side to side movement. My intentions are to replace top cylinder head with rockers and valves preassembled. Also, new piston and cylinder head. My question is would I be ok to drain the oil to clean most of the shavings and fill with solvent to clean out the rest and drain? Or would you advise to split the case and clean it out that way? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ridgway thanks for the reply. My plan is to drain the oil and see what comes out. Then, flush with mineral spirits or kerosene a few times and turn the crank a few times to get any of the smaller flakes. I have the motor out so a buddy and I were going to flip it and drain through the top end. For the larger chunks that is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If with flushing from bottom and top a few times it doesn't appear that I got all of it out. I guess I may just need to split. We shall see.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts