Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,
I recently purchased an 05 kodiak 450. When I bought it, it was running pretty good but was leaking gas and oil. I fixed the oil leak and decided to replace the carb just to be safe as well as the spark plug. Now the ATV won't start, it'll backfire once in a while when cranking. I keep seeing people say it's the woodruff key. Is there a way to tell specifically if its the woodruff key without having to tear it apart?

·
Registered
2017 Kodiak 700 ESP SE
293 Posts
Maybe the new Carb is just too far out of adjustment. try to match the setting with the old one and make sure the jetting is the same.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think its the carb because after i installed it, it fired right up and idled good. I did have the belt and primary sheave off when I fired it up. Could that have messed it up?

·
Registered
2017 Kodiak 700 ESP SE
293 Posts
No that wouldn't effect the starting capability.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there a way to tell if the woodruff key is sheared? It fires like once every 5 turns and giving it gas caused it to backfire.

·
Registered
2017 Kodiak 700 ESP SE
293 Posts
Sorry not sure on that, never had one out. My Kodiak has EFI. I would try googling it. Or someone here might be along to help with better info on that.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
There is only one good true way of properly inspecting the woodruff key....and that is too remove the flywheel and physically inspect it.

But for a cheaters way, if the crank gas rotated far enough to tell, you can remove the spark plug and put a straw down it. Rotate the crank slowly until the straw shows the piston is at top dead center. I usually do this using my hands so I can rock the crack bad and forth and "feel" the piston at TDC.
Then inspect the timing mark of the flywheel. If the mark does not line up, then you know the key is most likely sheared.
But this way only works if the flywheel has rotated enough to actually pick it up.

I always remove the flywheel if I suspect a broken flywheel woodruff key. It's the only way to know for 100% sure, IMO.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
T
There is only one good true way of properly inspecting the woodruff key....and that is too remove the flywheel and physically inspect it.

But for a cheaters way, if the crank gas rotated far enough to tell, you can remove the spark plug and put a straw down it. Rotate the crank slowly until the straw shows the piston is at top dead center. I usually do this using my hands so I can rock the crack bad and forth and "feel" the piston at TDC.
Then inspect the timing mark of the flywheel. If the mark does not line up, then you know the key is most likely sheared.
But this way only works if the flywheel has rotated enough to actually pick it up.

I always remove the flywheel if I suspect a broken flywheel woodruff key. It's the only way to know for 100% sure, IMO.
Thanks dezz,
I got it running today and it sounded pretty good. After changing the valve spacing and making some carb adjustments.
The engine will not run well or if at all with a sheared woodruff key correct?
Thanks very much for your help

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
T

Thanks dezz,
I got it running today and it sounded pretty good. After changing the valve spacing and making some carb adjustments.
The engine will not run well or if at all with a sheared woodruff key correct?
Thanks very much for your help
No it should not run at all with a sheared flywheel woodruff key. At least I have never seen an engine run yet with a sheared key.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts