Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys new to the site and hoping for some help.
05 kodiak 450 and I can't get rear brakes to work at all. Can't even get them to blead
Here's what I've done so far
Rebuilt master cyclinder
Rebuilt rear caliper
New brake pads
All new brake lines hard and rubber lines
Any help would be greatly appreciated before it goes up at road for sale
Hahah
Thanks to everyone

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Are you getting any brake pressure at all if you pump the pedal/handle fast?
Inspect the rear brake caliper for fetching of the brake pads on the caliper mounting bracket. This happens quite a bit. In most cases it can be rectified using a small screwdriver to "adjust" the pad. In some cases, you need to file the brake pad some to get clearance.

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,662 Posts
Welcome to GC!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not getting any pressure at caliper.
Sorry I'm not sure what fletching is.
I've been pumping for about 20 minutes no more air comming from lines and I've got very slight brakes if I spin tire by hand.
I've got cable adjusted all the way out to get it. Could it be the cable itself? That's the only thing that isn't new at this point.

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
If the cable is adjusted too tight, it's possible this will not allow the piston in the master cylinder to return far enough to get pass the check valve in the master cylinder body. Worth a try to loosen that some.

Your best bet might be to try a pressurized back bleeder. This bleeds the brake from the caliper to the master cylinder.
You can also try a vacuum bleeder. This will also work at the caliper. It will vacuum from the bleeder. I have found these hit or miss though. It all depends on how tight the bleeder threads are. It they are loose, it will not work.

It's not "Fletching"....it's called Fetching.....like fetching up....which means catching up on something. In many cases the brake pad will bring up on the caliper mounting bracket, and will cause spongy brakes.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had to rebuild the front caliper on my YZ125 due to the same symptoms. I pulled the caliper off and removed the pads. Removed the brake line and drained the fluid. Then I slowly blew compressed air into where the brake line goes. Popped out the piston. Watch your fingers. There are two rubber rings which sometimes get worn or torn and prevent the piston from moving properly. Try replacing those.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am not getting any pressure at caliper.
Sorry I'm not sure what fletching is.
I've been pumping for about 20 minutes no more air comming from lines and I've got very slight brakes if I spin tire by hand.
I've got cable adjusted all the way out to get it. Could it be the cable itself? That's the only thing that isn't new at this point.

Here you go. See my previous post.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts