Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran my '07 450 a short time today. I went to restart and as soon as I touched the starter the display when blank - no power. Heard a small pop left side by fuses. Checked the two 30 amp fuses - okay. After a couple of hours I noticed the display was back on. Touched the starter and same thing - small pop sound and display went blank. Only electrical thing I've done in the last five months is replace the ignition switch (aftermarket). I could put the original back in. Where should I start troubleshooting?

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Sounds like a short or break in the wiring harness. I would inspect the harness for chafing or melted wires. Pay close attention to wires under the gas tank, near the exhaust and where they run up near the steering stem.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Might be a bad starter relay

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Might be a bad starter relay
Rick is on to it here.

Forget what I said in my post above. I wasn't thinking correctly when I made that post and read into it completely wrong.

Anyway. It could be a loose battery terminal. Loose starter solenoid terminal, or a bad starter solenoid.
The battery solenoid is near the battery. Follow the battery positive wire. It will go straight to the starter solenoid.

Reactions: navydave79

·
Registered
191 Posts
I had 2 2007 450 grizzlies and I found the relays go after a while. Mine started failing after about 8 yrs.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Do NOT buy the aftermarket junk solenoids out there for $10 on amazon. I fell in that trap and it worked for two weeks. Just bite the bullet and get the OEM from Partzilla or the like.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Pull your battery connections and give them a good cleaning, some di-electric grease (if you have some) and re-attach. Could be bad battery connections and when the starter requires maximum AMPS to turn it over the bad connections shorts and looses power to the complete system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts