Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
07 Grizzly 700
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Right. I haven't checked the wet clutch. Its probably shot but down low feels ok. Unless I don't know what the slipping feels like.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
He only thing I find questionable about the primary is the difference in the length of the collar they supply. I used (what I believe) is my OEM collar, because its longer. Not sure what the shorter one would do.
The collar would change the ratio of your clutches if using the same belt. If you install the shorter collar, you should in theory, have a higher starting ratio on your clutches. This is because the belt will ride higher in the primary. This could also potentially give you a higher top speed if your engine will rev out fast enough to move the clutches through full travel.
Try the shorter sleeve. It's not going hurt anything. If your worried about belt rubbing the case or screws hitting the cage, that would happen with the longer sleeve, not the shorter one. Installing the longer sleeve is like installing shims. It opens the primary sheaves more.

·
Registered
07 Grizzly 700
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ok got about 200km on the primary now. Started making some noise on my last ride. Pulled it apart to find the grease cover screws loose. Could have been my fault, fine. Took the grease cover off to find all the weights flat spotted again. I have no idea what the problem is. Guess I'll have to go grease less weights after all. No damage to anything else.

·
Premium Member
7,719 Posts
Weird that those came loose. Shows the importance of making sure all fasteners are tight to spec..

Buy a good set of roller weights here. Roller weights
Good with or without grease.
I would buy a set of cam-plate (variator) slides also.

·
Registered
07 Grizzly 700
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks I'll have a look. This primary is supposed to have a 1 year warranty so I am waiting for a reply on the flattened weights.

As far as the grease cover goes, I had ot off, but I blame the thread strength more than how tight they were. I stripped one trying to tighten it, so I left it out.

The screws themselves should have had a washer, then lock washer. But the holes in the grease cap seem just a touch larger than the lock washer, so it sits a little crooked. I know there is lots of room now, so I will heli coil a steel thread in there and know I can get it tightened properly. Made in china I assume. Keep in mind, $100

·
Registered
07 Grizzly 700
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Retailer told me it was a listing error and that the primary isnt even for my model. Well what a waste of time that was. They refunded my money though, so I am happy. I'll try some sliders in my original sheave now I suppose.

Ordered Dr.Pulley 20g roller weights and sliders.

·
Registered
07 Grizzly 700
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Alright Dr.Pulley parts are in. Are you guys putting your grease cover back on the primary with these, or leave it off with greaseless weights?

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
Alright Dr.Pulley parts are in. Are you guys putting your grease cover back on the primary with these, or leave it off with greaseless weights?
With greaseless weights, leave it off. No need for it. It'll allow water or crap to fall out if you ever happen to swamp it.

·
Premium Member
9,776 Posts
Don't misplace the cover and screws, you may want to go back to round weights and grease.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts