Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 07 700 is having issues with the clutch or the transmission locking up. It seems like I have a brake stuck on and I really need to give it throttle to get it to move. When I put it into neutral I can push it with no issues.....just when I am trying to drive it forward or reverse it has this major resistance. I am thinking something in the clutch or transmission is binding up or a bearing starting to lock up...just a lot of resistance. There is also a lot of howling noise coming from the clutch case when I get it to move. I have been using it for pulling a large drag on the farm this spring and it started after that. I will be tearing off the clutch cover to see if anything in there doesn't look right.

·
Premium Member
10,629 Posts
Pulling the cover is the first thing to do. I bet you have a belt problem, but the wet clutch could also be toast. Pictures help us help you. Let us know what mods you are running if any.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 734 BB kit with a programmer and the Grizzly OEM performance exhaust on it. I will tear in to it this evening to see what is up. If it was the wet clutch I do think it will rev and slip in gear but that is not what is happening. It seems like I am holding the break and you need to rev the motor to get it to go. Once it is moving, it will almost stop instantly when you let off the gas. I just installed OEM one way bearing about 400 miles ago and the wet clutch was wore but not to the point of needing repair yet. Pulling the drag this spring could have took it out.

·
Premium Member
7,910 Posts
Stock roller weights?
May have melted them and possible the sliders.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes the roller weights are stock but I think I replaced the sliders when I had changed the one way bearing. I know that I needed to order more parts before I put it back together...and it think it was the sliders.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I got it tore down and found the issue. The nut on the primary clutch came loose and backed off. The primary was rubbing on the outer cage and also the inner sheave splines are stripped out from being loose. I can see where the noise was coming from now! I have a new nut and sheave coming already and will have it up and running by next week....will be using locktite this time!

·
Premium Member
7,910 Posts
No Locktite needed if the primary is properly torqued.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
No Locktite needed if the primary is properly torqued.
X2.
If everything is installed properly (cam plate splines fully engaged and washer centered), then locktite is not required.
Everytime I have seen this nut come loose, it was caused by incorrect installation and/or incorrect procedures.

·
Premium Member
2,196 Posts
Blue Loctite is what I use on a lot of things. It may not be necessary but it's cheap insurance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts