Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2007 700 Grizzly I am getting hesitation/sputtering with an occasional reverse light flashing. Not happening all the time. The last time I went riding I left camp to go to the gas station to fill up before a long ride, about 4 miles to the station. It was about 80 degrees out. I had about 1/4 of a tank of gas. After about 2 miles I had 2 separate instances where the machine lost power and the reverse light flashed. driving speed of about 20-30 mph.

Got to the gas station and filed up (91 ethanol free). drove the 4 miles back to camp. No issues...

About an hour later left from a long ride on mostly dirt roads (90%) and some trails. Ran fine for the first 65 miles which was about when I got down to 1/4 tank of gas. Same behavior as before. Lost power, reverse light flashing etc. Started happening sporadically then got to the point where it was almost undriveable (happening constantly). Didn't matter if it was a steady cruising pace, fast or under acceleration. I did try unscrewing the gas cap (I unthreaded it all the way and just lifted off the tank and then screwed it back on) which didn't help.

I had extra gas with me in my rack pack so I stopped any poured it in, about 1.5-2 gallons. This gas was old (at least 8-12 months) and have no idea what grade...

After adding the gas went back to a normal operations. Rode for another 15 miles with no problems...

Reverse sensor/switch? Shift linkage? Thoughts? Just seems odd that with a 1/2 to full tank I didn't have any issues.

·
Registered
370 Posts
This is just a thought but I'm thinking that maybe your fuel pump is dirty. When it's full, it runs fine but lower on fuel and it gets fussy. Mine's a 2002 660 and I cleaned out the tank and the whole petcock assembly. There was lots of crud in there.

·
Premium Member
7,910 Posts
Reverse sensor probably going out.
You might try the reverse sensor override mod.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Had a similar issue one time. It seemed to be vapor lock from the gas getting too hot and vaporizing a bit.

I removed the ball from the tank vent that stops it from losing fuel if tipped over, changed the plug and never had the problem again. I also only run ethanol free in it now.

Item of note: I did not get the flashing reverse light when mine acted up...and it’s a 2014.

·
Premium Member
2,196 Posts
Sounds like reverse sensor. My buddies 07 did the same thing and it would only act up after a long ride , not sure why maybe it gets hot and acts up don't know.

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,662 Posts
Had the exact same symptoms recently, needed a new NEUTRAL SWITCH ASSY (3GB-82540-01-00)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you to everyone that gave suggestions. Gives me suggestions to give to the person working on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ive also had problems with flashing reverse light. So far it doesnt seem to be an actual problem but just an irritation. Owners manual says it's a problem with "the Solenoid" but doesn't say WHICH solenoid or what the problem is. I'll try the override switch and see if that makes a difference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts