Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my son just purchased an 07 Grizzly 660 and upon trying to start it to take it off the trailer from picking it up from the seller the battery terminals melted off the battery. While trying to start it it turned over slow like the battery was weak. It did turn over, just slow. The quad was cold, it was about 25 degrees and was being transported for almost an hour on the highway so it was probably pretty cold. I would hate to have him buy a new battery for the same thing to happen. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
2017 Grizzly
352 Posts
Interesting, since the battery seems weak and you just got it used and melted connectors it might be the seller could of very well used a battery charger/jump incorrectly on the posts and arched the leads. That might explain things.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess that could happen but I would be a bit suprised as it has a battery tender connected that he said he kept plugged in most of the time. Also just to clarify I don't know if the battery was actually weak, when we tried to start it it turned over like what a weak battery would do.

Thanks,
Bob

·
Premium Member
7,910 Posts
A weak battery will not cause this type of problem.
If the starter is not locked or fried...
Dirty and loose battery connections are the biggest issue with terminals heating up. Think of arc welding..If there is no air gap the temperature of the system will heat up but not critically. The air gap allows the electricity to generate thousands of degrees of heat.

I have many times started my ATV at zero or below F° without issue. Clean tight connections are important.

Reactions: okbear

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,517 Posts
I agree with reo. I had that issue with battery terminals on an old new to me Honda. I replaced the battery, made sure they were tight and never had another problem.

·
Premium Member
2,196 Posts
Agree with bad connections are the number one cause of high heat. Also if the starter has high current draw (aka dragging) it could heat up the terminals. Might even be a combo of both of these.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts