Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

08 700 goes into park but will not display

935 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  reogem 
#1 ·
Hello,
I have a 2008 griz 700
2 things when i put the bike in park it will not display it is in park. It will go in all gears (I even adjusted the linkage just incase) at the same time it was not starting when i pull the left brake lever or push the foot lever (pulled the switch at the left handle and cleaned it but it is intermittent on working) I know bike is going into park and when the switch works i can start the bike in any gear.
Park indicator lights up with all the other lights when i turn the key on but goes out.
All other lights work as they should.
I can shift through all gears and the head unit displays the gear but not park

How does the bike know when it is in park as in what switch tells it that? And where is it located?

Thank you
Matt

#2 ·
You have a lot going on so...
If cleaning the switch help, that makes me think you are on the right track there.
For the park position, I would disconnect the shift linkage and move the transmission shaft by hand to the full park position and see what the indicator does. You may have a bulb out or something like a rubbed wire.
I would then move the shaft by hand through all the gear positions.
Then in any gear position with the shifter in that gear, the shaft should hook up without moving anything, and if not you have wear? or something bent? going on.
A f.s.m. can be had for cheap online at;
https://www.tradebit.com/

#3 ·
Thank you for the info.
Cleaning the rear brake switch didn't do as i hoped. (ordered a new switch)
Atv goes into every gear no issues, all lights are working (the "P" lights up when i turn the key on but goes out) the bike will not start even though it is clear in park because it thinks different, i can start in neutral or when brake switch works i can start it when in gear or park with no "P" light. Today i attempted to remove the gear switch on the right side behind the cvt cover. With out some more work. I ended up checking the wire connector but it seemed fine ( unplug it, cleaned it and added some dielectric grease) tried wiggling the wires around but nothing happened.
Just thought i would give an update.
I don't want to tare fully into it as i am at windrock for a week of riding and things seem to be working. I will dive a bit deeper when i get home.

#4 ·
As you indicated you have adjust the linkage.
No park light could be bad wiring or the gear position switch is bad.

No starting when pulling the rear brake lever and or standing on the foot brake.
Could be a bad switch on the brake lever, blown fuse,blown brake light bulb or bad wiring.

The brake light must come on to start in gear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.