Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2008 Grizzly 700
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well first post here as I have had the Grizzly home for only a week. Long story short, a friend bought it used about3 yers ago now to plow his driveway. Used it th first year but the summer the stator and rectifier went out of it. I replaced them for him and it ran again with no problems. Soon after though he ended up needing a new starter and got one put in by the local dealership. Again things were fine but he left the machine outside till winter, then it would not start and it had sat in that same spot until last week. He sold his house and not being mechanically inclined he was not wanting to put any money into the quad that he would no longer be needing so he told me that I could have it. Ended up haggling that I would take him and his wife out for dinner for it at the very least.

I got it home, opened the gas tank and could smell that the gas had gone bad. He said he didn't put any stabilizer in it and that was the truth. I siphoned the gas out of it and found that there was plenty of water in the tank as well. I threw a little seafood and methyl hydrate in the tank with the last little bit and put some new marked fuel into the tank. It sputtered and stalled lots so I pulled the plug and found the it was nicely fouled. Turning the machine over the spark was quite lazy and yellow, not the crisp blue like on my Kodiak. I hit the local dealership and low and behold, the pice of the plug was amazingly cheap (first time I have ever seen that at Yamaha). I dropped a new plug in it and fired it up. She ran rough to start and the methyl hydrate definitely caused the exhaust to glow a little but then it was soon burnt out and it was idling nicely for a good 10 minutes.

With that success I turned it off and put a battery maintainer on it because the temps hav been pretty cold and it would be until today that I could get back to it. Well today I went to fire it up and it was stalling and backfiring like crazy. Even every once and a while it would make a strange noise when it stalled like a whirring noise hat was slowly winding down after the motor quit. I pulled the plug out and found it carbon fouled, so I cleaned it up a bit and put it back in. I fired it up again and it acted the same way. I only ran it for about 30 seconds then shut it down. I pulled the plug and again it was super carbon fouled.

So this is my first EFI machine (currently have a 1995 Kodiak, 1995 Big bear, and 2005 Kodiak, all carb machines) and I am not sure why it would be running so rich. I went through the diagnostic screen and all the values seem to be right on. Can someone offer some advice on where to look next? I was thinking of the injector, but not sure if that would cause the rich condition unless it was stuck open or something from the varnish. Thanks.

· Registered
2008 Grizzly 700
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Patroller. I'm heading out of country for a couple of weeks here and figure I can get back to cleaning the fuel system then. I just dumped some fuel injector cleaner and seafoam in the tank to sit while I'm away. I'll pick up a few plugs while I'm at it. I am guessing that it's going to take a bit to get things cleared up, but hey free is always good.

· Registered
2008 Grizzly 700
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thaks everyone for your advice... and yes Reogem, mine does not like shrimp and clams either, but did like the seafoam that I put in the tank before I left along with injector cleaner. I wasn't aware Ridgway that injector cleaner was corrosive on rubber lines and had put a bit in the tank before I left. I managed to get it to run a little bit to get the mixture through the system and then left for Mexico. Well today I have finally recovered enough to head out to my shop. I pulled the last plug, cleaned it up on a wire wheel and shoved it back in and started the machine. It started up after a short it but was still backfiring and stalling along with a little knocking. I shut it down, pulled the plug and it was completely black again. I tossed another one that I had cleaned up in and fired it up again. This time it was a bit better, but not much. It started right away but wanted to stall if I stopped revving it. Pulled the plug again and again it was black as night. Repeated a total of four times and on the last time I also pulled the spark arrestor out of the muffler as I noticed some black on the shop floor beneath it. Well there was a bunch of shit built up in there and I got all that out and the screen cleaned up. Again I fired a cleaned off plug in it and after the fourth time it started up right away and idled like the 450 kodiak that I had just been plowing the driveway with. I left the machine idling for about 30 minutes and it never faltered, just kept a nice steady idle, no backfiring or stalling. Pulled the plug this last time and found the it was no longer black, but instead it had no buildup on it at all. At that point I grabbed another new plug, put it in and fired it up. She started almost right away and again idled without issue. I may have cheated the system instead of taking all the lines an injectors out and cleaning them, which may screw me further down the line, but for now the free Grizz is running like a top. I'll slap all the plastics back on it and take her for a rip this week and see how it goes. I don't plan on going too far from home, just run around the property in case I have to drag it back! Thanks again everyone.

As an afterthought Reogrm, I may just check the valves before I get too carried away with things. Lots of time before the riding season starts and that might be a good thing to have done. Cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts