Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have recently purchased a 2014 bruin 350 for my wife and would like to install a 12v outlet and heated grips.

I am trying to figure out an ignition wire source for my relay so she can't drain the battery by accident. I installed on mY '06 kodiak by attaching to the 12v plug and on my ninja 650 by connecting to the license plate light. The bruin in it's simplicity doesn't seem to have anything quite so simple.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
"Respect my authoratah"
3,360 Posts
Does your '14 Bruin have keyed power? If so, multimeter on those wires to find which wire gets energized when the key is put into the on position. Connect your relay to that.

That is what I always did in my cars when connecting new accessories.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does your '14 Bruin have keyed power? If so, multimeter on those wires to find which wire gets energized when the key is put into the on position. Connect your relay to that.

That is what I always did in my cars when connecting new accessories.
Unfortunately the proper use of a multi-meter is not something ive ever been shown. I do own a multimeter but have literally no idea how to use it. :(. I know pretty sad.

Yes it does have keyed power.

·
"Respect my authoratah"
3,360 Posts
No worries.

On the meter, select 20V DC reading. Make sure the black probe is connected to the ground (sometimes shown as three horizontal, parallel lines that get progressively smaller). Make sure the red probe is connected to VDC.

Touch the black probe to a ground on the ATV, you can also use the battery ground. Touch the end of the red probe to one of the wires and then turn on the keyed power. What you are looking for is 0V before turning on the key and then watch to see if the meter window indicates you have ## V DC. Probably in the range of 12-14.5 V DC. If the first wire doesn't get a reading other than 0 V, do the same procedure on the other wire.

You can also go to youtube and look up how to use a multimeter to test for voltage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts