Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well today I picked up a yamaha moto 250cc for $150. It doesn't run and is a total piece of crap. All parts are there except the rear rack. I haven't had a chance to really look it over and it's still in the back of the truck, but I do know it needs a battery and a lot of rewiring. It also might need fresh fuel and a carb and tank clean out. The speedometer looks like someone shot it. For $150 I think I got a good deal.

Do you guys think I should part it out or fix it up and then resell it? I bought it strictly to make a profit.

·
Premium Member
11,393 Posts
What's it worth if it's running/driving??????

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just found the vin number and its a 1991.

If I can get it running I should be able to get $800-$1000 if I use magic chemicals to clean it up. It is 22 years old and you never know what kind of surprises are inside of this thing. I'm thinking that I'm going to take the whole thing apart, clean and repaint parts, rewire stuff, fuel flush/carb cleanup, and then put it back together and see what happens.

How much could I get for the parts if I part it out? Is there even a market for parts for this atv?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well today I cleaned the carb up, drained the old fuel, and put the battery from my Kodiak in it. When I tryed to start it I heard the buzzing of the starter relay.

Does anyone know a cheaper place to buy a starter relay the yamaha parts house for $45 ?

·
Premium Member
11,393 Posts
I looked and JC Whitney is 46 bucks plus shipping.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How much damage will it cause if I disconnect the starting relay and use a pair of plyers as a starting relay? It will just be temporary to see if it starts.

·
Registered
854 Posts
That will work, copper jumper wire better. In fact a heavy duty knife switch will be even better. Heck put a 60 amp disconnect switch on the side of the quad Haha.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Research that relay more, get the specs and research it that way it should be less than 20 i would think. Maybe take it to napa see if they can match it up.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
If I can get it running I should be able to get $800-$1000 if I use magic chemicals to clean it up.
I think that's a bit optimistic. my dad got a 2001 bear tracker for $1100 a few years back. 10 years older i think you are looking at 800 MAX.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think that's a bit optimistic. my dad got a 2001 bear tracker for $1100 a few years back. 10 years older i think you are looking at 800 MAX.
I sold a 1996 Kodiak 400 for $1900 and it was in a lot worse condition. I had like 5 calls on it in the first few hours and sold it the same day as putting it up for sale.

I think it depends on where you live. I know that a running 250cc atv will sell for $1000 in decent shape. This one looks really good and doesn't have much rust on it so I can see $1000. Hell, my 2005 Kodiak has 5 times as much rust.

Maintence update: there is NO air filter on it. I cleaned up the carb yesterday and it was clean though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts