Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum. Planning get new tires for my bike. I have decided to go for Zillas, as most of my friends ride on them and in the place where we live they are doing very well. However I can't decide whether to buy 26 or 27. I don't want to lose my low end torque, but I also know Zillas are undersized, so 27 in reality is 26,5 (but wider). Does any of you 16 Grizzly owners switched to 27 Zillas? Do they affect handling?
Any feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
5,544 Posts
Go with the 27's. You will not regret it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I just went through this when I bought my 27 zillas, Did all the research on aftermarket tires, Made sure of true size and weight, Made sure I would be doing no clutch mods. The only thing I forgot to do was measure the actual Yamaha stock tire size. It turns out that the 26" Maxxis measure a true 24.5". So instead of going up the 1" without having to mod anything I ended going 2". It has become sluggish in the bottom end and because of that I will have to mod my clutch. So 26" zillas would be more of a mod free tire. They are good tires and I don't get stuck very often with them.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Every time I've tossed around two tire sizes and gone with the smaller, I regretted it. Always wished I chose the bigger set.
Clutch shims and a spring cost less than $50 new tires cost $400 or more.
I'd go with 27"... actually Me.. I'd choose 28".
I have 26" bighorns that measure 26.5" tall and want taller tires for ground clearance. Deep snow and rocks need every inch you can get...
that said... be honest with yourself. Ask " what riding do I do most ? What do I "need" my tires to do?"

2016 Grizzly 700 le,
26 Bighorns on Stock wheels.
1 1/2" custom tip, EHS fuel controller.
1.5mm shim and Dalton Metallic Red secondary, 224 watt 12" LED bar.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all your input. My riding style is a bit of everything - uphill climbing, fast gravel tracks and mud pumping - what I love. I am affraid that if I install 27 tires my Grizzly won't have this nice low end torque anymore therefore it will require further modifications eg. clutch kit. If then Grizz is more powerful I will need better suspension as handling on stock shocks is disputable. I love my bike and could do all those mods. But is it worth it? Maybe it is better to sell it and switch to something else? Can Am maybe?

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum. Planning get new tires for my bike. I have decided to go for Zillas, as most of my friends ride on them and in the place where we live they are doing very well. However I can't decide whether to buy 26 or 27. I don't want to lose my low end torque, but I also know Zillas are undersized, so 27 in reality is 26,5 (but wider). Does any of you 16 Grizzly owners switched to 27 Zillas? Do they affect handling?
Any feedback is appreciated.
My 26" Bighorns measure 26.5" like the zillas you are looking at. I'm happy with the ride height over the 25" stockers that measured 24". Remember that you will only gain half of the difference in clearance but fractions of inches matter with a small vehicle like a quad. As far as handling, I have heard that zillas are light but have softer side walls which results in more flex. I've seen some guys run a little higher pressure to compensate for that. As far as clutch mods go, the bigger the tire, the more you'll want them. And shims and a spring are very easy.

Thanks for all your input. My riding style is a bit of everything - uphill climbing, fast gravel tracks and mud pumping - what I love. I am affraid that if I install 27 tires my Grizzly won't have this nice low end torque anymore therefore it will require further modifications eg. clutch kit. If then Grizz is more powerful I will need better suspension as handling on stock shocks is disputable. I love my bike and could do all those mods. But is it worth it? Maybe it is better to sell it and switch to something else? Can Am maybe?

As far as changing quads goes, do your research. You own a very reliable and modable machine. It's plenty for me but I'm not you. If your desire is huge power, the Griz might not be the right fit for your needs. However, visit the forum for whatever brand you might look at. See what people are bitching about because that's what you'll be bitching about before long. One of the major can am complaints I've seen is how big a pain in the azzzz maintenance is.

Reactions: Madkawi750

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
"Maintenance". Yup it's a major pain in the azzzz. It's the main reason I sold my Canam and and went back to a grizzly.
I hated the squeaks and rattlles, the volcano heat coming from the motor and how even a thing like the " maintenance required" light and message on the display screen requires an expensive trip to the dealer to reset it with the BUDS Software the dealer has.

2016 Grizzly 700 le,

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Clutch mods are very easy.. you'd be super impressed with just a 1.5mm shim and an EPI purple secondary spring.

2016 Grizzly 700 le,

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's the whole point. I love my Grizz. I absolutely don't want to get rid of it. I just need to mod it a bit, but I'm still looking for the best way. Most probably I will start with 27 Zillas and then with your help I will continue.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
That's the whole point. I love my Grizz. I absolutely don't want to get rid of it. I just need to mod it a bit, but I'm still looking for the best way. Most probably I will start with 27 Zillas and then with your help I will continue.

We can do that! That's why GC exists. Let the mods begin!!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Assuming you have a 700 I think you would be just fine with the 27s and that would get my vote hands down. Like others have mentioned the shim mod and secondary spring is cheap to do and will give you back all the low end power you lost with the 27" zilla's but will cost you a little on the top end. (I didn't buy a utility quad for its blazing top end speed, lol) I ran 30" wild thangs (zilla knockoff) with the shim mod/spring and never had a problem with mine. When I buy another grizzly, first thing I will do is clutch mods, even with slightly larger tires than stock. Go (at least) 27s and don't look back! haha

1 - 13 of 13 Posts