Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

16 kodiak 700 running issues

6K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Jogrady1 
#1 ·
New to this forum I have a kodiak with the 708cc having running issues so I came here to hopefully get some advice. When cold it starts and runs fine. I ride it for about 45 min to an hour then all of a sudden bogs out and backfires and wants to shut off when I wack the throttle. It shuts off at idle . If I slowly give it more throttle while riding I can reach a certain point then it falls flat on its face and cuts out. I have changed the fuel filter on the pump. Checked spark plug. Air filter is clean. And I even drained gas and wiped inside of gas tank and pulled fuel rail and injector . I did get dirt out of fuel rail but problem has continued. This is a ongoing issue every time I ride it lately. Has anyone else had these issues?

#2 ·
Welcome from Colorado.
Generally if she starts the plug is acceptable.
I don't understand wack the throttle, but the backfire indicates the valve lash needs adjusting. It is running poorly, but running I would make sure the lash is correct and the valves are fully closing.

#3 ·
Wack the throttle I mean like going from idle to full throttle . I’m not ruling out that the valves may need adjustment but I can start it cold let it warm up then ride it pull wheelies basically like there is nothing wrong with it then randomly after awhile of trail riding it will just start running like crap if I give it full throttle. when I come to a stop it then dies out. It will fire right back out but does the same thing. It’s acts like when you are in reverse and it cuts out when you give it too much gas

#7 ·
Just a shot in the dark, but check your coil, there was a thread on this issue a few years back, works good when cold then acts up when coil got warm, corrosion around the coil.

#8 ·
Same Issue with my 2020 Kodiak 700 I've only had it for two weeks and randomly while idling it shuts off. The service department is getting it soon I am leaning towards Fuel Injection Problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.