Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All ya's
I'm just now getting to work on my grizz I rolled in september and I have straightened the kink behind the A-arm and replaced the bent A-arm. I still had 1 inch less between frt and rear axles center to center before straightening to within a 1/16, close enuf for me. My issue now is I think the frame is high on both ends and I wonder if anyone can confirm for certain that it should be flat on the bottom front to back????????
It flipped quite hard mannnnnny times on the dirt road at high speed, at least 50 mph (80kms) when it kick sideways and went over.
So if anyone knows if it is supposed to be flat or not I'd appreciate your info. I saw the thread by "Rollin" where he swapped the frame but no mention of the bottom being flat or not, although one of his pics shows the new frame sitting on four 2x4s, so I kinda think it is flat, but I don't wanna straighten if it's not supposed to be!! lol

thanks
al
Ye Olde Workshoppe

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Welcome to GC. I would ask were you on the Grizz when it rolled over and over at 50 MPH, and if so to heck with the Grizz, how is YOUR frame? LOL!!!!!!!

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,661 Posts
Yes, inquiring minds want to...

Backstory please 0:)

And on a serious note, I do hope whoever was driving it is OK!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
yeah I went with it!!!! broken collarbone in 5 pcs, sore neck, 3 cracked ribs, 1 very upset wife!!! had a plate put in to hold it all together but it failed and had a do-over 9 weeks in and started over again with the healing finally after over 4 months doing zero I'm finally back! Was a long haul. I was very fortunate not to be killed or severely crippled all in all! Didn't have my chinstrap done up right and watched rolling away when I came to a stop on the ground! It all happened because i was riding with some new guys and the guy out front stopped in the middle of the trail just around a corner (in SxS) who the hell does that when everyone is going 60mph? I hit the brakes so not to slam into him and it kicked sideways and instantly flipped I had to still be going over 50 which prolly saved me being crushed by the machine. I pounded into the ground and it was airborne and flew over me.

thanks for asking!! lol

p.s the plate has to come out as it's protruding from the bone and chafing the skin raw from the inside.......

·
Registered
2017 Grizzly
352 Posts
Holly cow, that is some story of events and you should consider yourself sort of lucky. I have been on several ATV accidents and usually if still wrapped up or under the machine it often a recovery. Seeing so many bad things in my career, speed is lower on the priority nowadays. Does remind me now to tightening up the helmet.
Sorry about your machine, but easier to fix then the body and assume your wife has already given you enough punishment :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
thanks fireman, yes i was rather lucky all in all. I think it was the speed that saved me from ending up under the machine but I still don't recommend this to anyone! lol

Still hoping someone can tell me if the frame is flat on the bottom or not..............................

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,661 Posts
Geesh, that is some story. So your helmet ended up coming off? If it did, then assuming at least the initial hit the helmet took the impact? I know it's probably difficult to know as stuff like that happens so quickly.

At least you're here to tell the tale even if you did get hurt. And it will be interesting to see how everything turns out with straightening of the frame.

·
Premium Member
7,910 Posts
Hey Yow..your handle says it all..Welcome to GC from Wisconsin. Glad to hear you are coming along health wise.

......It all happened because i was riding with some new guys and the guy out front stopped in the middle of the trail just around a corner (in SxS) who the hell does that when everyone is going 60mph? ....
Some donkey in a SxS! I d see this a lot along the trails. Come around a corner there sits 3-4 of them half out in the trail BS-ing and suckin beers. WTF! there are plenty of safe areas to stop!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
helmet came off as I was rolling on the ground like a log, I only got a small scrape on my nose otherwise no marks.... verry fortunate indeed!
The bent frame is straightened I'm just considering if and how I should reinforce it, I'm actually leaning towards not cuz it will just bend elsewhere if there's another impact which may cause more damage. I know how to straighten it in this spot now. lol! As I said earlier cross measures to within a 1/16th" so should be as good as new!

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,517 Posts
Welcome to GC. Glad you came out of that deal ok-ish. Check out the Echo quick release helmet buckle. I’ve been using them a long time. Makes buckling you chin strap quick and easy. You can pick them up pretty cheap on eBay.

Reactions: yow

·
Registered
217 Posts
So if anyone knows if it is supposed to be flat or not I'd appreciate your info. I saw the thread by "Rollin" where he swapped the frame but no mention of the bottom being flat or not, although one of his pics shows the new frame sitting on four 2x4s, so I kinda think it is flat, but I don't wanna straighten if it's not supposed to be!! lol
Hey @yaw , sorry you're going thru this , first because of your injuries and second 'cause you wrecked your quad. Looks like you're doing well and on your way to a complete recovery so that's good news! Unfortunately you won't be like new again and neither you Grizz...

Your frame may be not only bent behind the A-arm but also twisted , it's hard to tell. In my case I knew exactly where I hit it, in your case it went barrel-rolling down the road, who knows what else is bent? Maybe check your steering column and motor mounts?

I didn't put my new frame on a surface plate but the bottom of it wasn't flat. It has a bow towards the front and I think a little towards the back. I have attached two pics of it from the side, you can see the curvature. Mine is a Kodiak though so it is similar but not exactly the same like your Grizzly.

Good luck with the repair and speedy recovery !

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rollin much appreciate your info. That's what my frame looks like so I guess I'm done the straightening! It turned out better than I hoped so I'm quite pleased but you;'re right neither will be the same.
The recovery has been a long haul, 4 months of zero weight bearing and I'm a couple months of using it but the plate is very bothersome and I can't sleep on my left side because it is too painful with the tension on the plate. I still feel extremely fortunate all in all!
The flesh was pinched between to bone ends as u can see in the picture and I ended up with a 5" zipper. I will feel much better when I get all the plastic back on the machine and can take it for a burn again! We still have 3 feet, if not more, of snow in places so it will be a while before the trails are open though. lol
thanks again for the info!!!
al

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welcome to GC. Glad you came out of that deal ok-ish. Check out the Echo quick release helmet buckle. I’ve been using them a long time. Makes buckling you chin strap quick and easy. You can pick them up pretty cheap on eBay.
thanks I ordered them!

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,517 Posts
thanks I ordered them!
Good. It takes a little practice getting it buckled. Especially with gloves on but you’ll get the hang of it. We initially got them as we ride with a bunch of SxS guys. They hop in from trail break and are ready to go again. As you know, us quad guys are a little more high maintenance if we’re doing the safety stuff right.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts