Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to do clutch mods to my 17 700. All stock going to 27s the first time I get a flat. From what I gather. I want 16 gram weights,pack of shims, and I'm unsure the differences between a white and yellow spring . And what's the difference between slug weights and stall springs.. eventually want a Jbs sheave . But right now looking for more bottom end this thing is rather doggy

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,517 Posts
What type of riding are you primarily planning on? Start with shim. At least 1.7mm should fit with no cage mods. Most guys use EPI's purple spring unless you are looking to do heavy mud riding. I would suggest moving slowly and not throwing a whole lot at it at one time. Do your research on more complex mods. Some can cause premature failure of your wet clutch. You might also check out member Coop45 who is our resident sheave machiner. He has a YouTube channel where you can gain a little education on what he can do for you.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
DO NOT install stall springs. All they really accomplish is accelerated wet clutch wear.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Do you have to go to at least 1.5 shim to feel a difference? My quad is brand new and was thinking about putting in 1.0 shim in it.i am also running 27 inch tires.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do a lot of trail riding . Anything from dry woods trails to swampy power lines. Then the occasional back road cruising..

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Do you have to go to at least 1.5 shim to feel a difference? My quad is brand new and was thinking about putting in 1.0 shim in it.i am also running 27 inch tires.

I have 1.5mm in my 2016 grizzly.
For me, I wouldn't bother if I wasn't going at least 1.5mm
It made a difference but not as much as I thought it would.
I had a machined sheave in my 2009 grizzly and that was pure awesomeness for low end, go slow, crawling ability.
I will be going with a sheave soon.

Also when adding shims you increase the torque so that also increases the load on the secondary clutch.
Without adding a stiffer spring like the EPI purple, you'll get minor belt slip on hard acceleration. If you're not aggressive, you wouldn't notice.
I must be aggressive, because I needed the spring.

2016 Grizzly 700 le,
26 Bighorns on Stock wheels.
1 1/2" custom tip, EHS fuel controller.
1.5mm shim and Dalton Metallic Red secondary, 224 watt 12" LED bar.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Not sure what to do now I just wanted to gain some of the low end torque back lost from the larger tires.i didn't want get into adding to much stuff quad has 2 year warranty on it. so if I add shim without spring you get belt slip?

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,517 Posts
You "may" get belt slip depending on how aggressively you ride. The spring will increase the rate at which your machine back shifts and will prevent the belt from slipping. My advice would be the max shim and a purple spring to start. These are simple mods. If you want more, get your sheave machined. I put 1mm shim and the spring in to start. I should have just thrown the other .7mm in at the same time. But I found be out how 1mm affects the machine and how the other .7mm improved it. Take it step by step. Do the shim and spring and see if you need more from there. Simple.

Do your research on these mods. It is important to properly reassemble everything and to torque those nuts to spec. I can't stress that enough. This ain't rocket science but does need to be done correctly or costly repairs a lack of fun can be the result.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thanks for all your help. I didn't even get a chance to ride quad other than in my small yard I have to tow at least 1 hour for closest place to ride. Should I break machine in before shim and spring mod or it doesn't really matter?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have shim kit and just ordered epi purple spring yds6 going to install 1.5 shim and purple spring hope that works good and doesn't hurt anything.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,517 Posts
Thanks for all your help. I didn't even get a chance to ride quad other than in my small yard I have to tow at least 1 hour for closest place to ride. Should I break machine in before shim and spring mod or it doesn't really matter?
No problem. That's why this place exists. It's fine either way IMO. All you are changing is how the pulleys work to give you lower gearing. Do the mods and if you need help, ask. Most of the pics in the threads I referenced when I did these mods are gone thanks to PB. Member Ridgway has some vids on YouTube where he talks about clutching. I think he also talks about the wood vise to hold the primary and secondary here:

Good luck and let us know what you think of the improvement in low end.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,517 Posts
It doesn't in my opinion. Lots of guys break a machine in the way they are going to ride it. Some follow the manual. Most put better tires on sooner rather than later and discover what you did. Then they look for options like you are now. Do it and go have fun!

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,517 Posts
I have shim kit and just ordered epi purple spring yds6 going to install 1.5 shim and purple spring hope that works good and doesn't hurt anything.
It won't hurt anything at all. I would, however, go ahead and throw that other .2mm in there. You'll just end up doing it later on unless you decide on a machined sheave. It won't make much difference but you are going to end up wanting more and doing it. I speak from experience.:grin2: A machined sheave is on my list. I've been around here for awhile and I can tell you that Coop45 will be doing it after I get this house built. Nothing against JBS... I just prefer to deal with Coop based on member reviews and other info I have learned here on GC.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is slug weights the same concept as stall springs ? I saw a guys online selling a slug kit and was wondering if I should grab that up.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Is slug weights the same concept as stall springs ? I saw a guys online selling a slug kit and was wondering if I should grab that up.

SLUG KIT ALLOW MORE CLAMPING OR GRIP OF THE CLUTCH SHOES AGAINST THE DRUM, NO MORE SLIPPAGE. MIGHT ACTUALLY LOWER THE ENGAGEMENT RPM RATHER THAN RAISE IT LIKE WET SPRINGS.
I USED TO BURN OUT WET CLUTCH IN 250KMS WITH 843CC.
AFTER INSTALLING WET SLUGS BEEN 2 YERAS AND WET CLUTCH STILL LOOKS LKE NEW. BEST $50 IVE SPENT

·
Registered
144 Posts
Was wondering if anyone who put 1.5 shim in is having problems with belt rubbing on inside cover.i watched video guy said his belt was rubbing cover with 1.5 shim and purple spring plus he had 4 kodiak weights so he put 1.0 shim in to take care of it.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts

Won't hurt anything. You'll be happy with the shim an spring over a stock machine. Just be sure to take your time and install correctly. There's lots of install videos from guys doing the shim mod

2016 Grizzly 700 le,
26 Bighorns on Stock wheels.
1 1/2" custom tip, EHS fuel controller.
1.5mm shim and Dalton Metallic Red secondary, 224 watt 12" LED bar.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts