Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 17 grizzly. Loved it thing had loads of low end. Wheelied like crazy. I added snorkels,rad kit, and 28” terms. I knew I’d lose some power but geez it was a dog after that in thick mud it would just lug down.

So I put a shim mod in. Didn’t make much difference imo and the top speed went to 45mph.

I ordered a white epi spring, 16g weights, and wet clutch slugs. I have a lot of my power back, top speeds only 50mph, but won’t wheelie. Had enough power to break an axle though, fml.

My buddy bought a 18 kodiak. Just tossed on 30” murder inlaws. He lost basically no power, still stands up immediately in low, still has top end.

I just don’t understand what I’ve done wrong or why his has no issues and mines struggling? I don’t need to win wheelie competitions but I hate not being able to get the nose up!

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
While its well known that large tires rob huge amounts of power, I’m thinking your snorkel setup is likely restricting airflow and reducing power. It’s possible the snorkels, if large enough may have increased air flow and you’re now running lean... but this is far less likely.
You could try a quick test of running with the air box lid popped open. Make sure it’s a short test with no dust or water.. like a trip around your lawn. See if it gets better or worse.
These machines, even though fuel injected, do not have an O2 sensor and wont adjust for air box mods.
Only a fuel controller can do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
44 Posts
i cant speak for the kodiak, but i just upgraded my clutch and can get a wheelie with a good butt bounce lol.
check my sig.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I have to go with Kawi here. All those mods and you still can't wheelie. It's not the clutch. Something is messed up in the engine.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I have to go with Kawi here. All those mods and you still can't wheelie. It's not the clutch. Something is messed up in the engine.

pull the lid off airbox and see if power comes back

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i cant speak for the kodiak, but i just upgraded my clutch and can get a wheelie with a good butt bounce lol.
check my sig.
What size tires and clutch mods did you do?

It’ll remove the lid this weekend and try

·
Registered
44 Posts

im guessing you're new lol. i said, "check my sig" in my previous post, which will answer your question. its a typical answer/suggestion due to the fact that everybody usually has a description of the specs on their bike in their sig(signature).

i have an epi gold spring, 8-450 weights(14g w/cover), and a Brian Farr "super sheave"
tires are 30"x10" mudder inlaws

·
Registered
800 Posts

im guessing you're new lol. i said, "check my sig" in my previous post, which will answer your question. its a typical answer/suggestion due to the fact that everybody usually has a description of the specs on their bike in their sig(signature).

i have a epi gold spring, 8-450 weights(14g w/cover), and a Brian Farr "super sheave"
If you are in mobile version you can't see a signature. So really a signature does no good.

Reactions: Madkawi750

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Pull off transmission cover and see if belt is riding all the way up in the secondary. Then see if it travels all the way through the range and top speed as well.

I'd be more likely to believe that you have a stuck roller or something else related with the primary going on here.

Reactions: Madkawi750

·
Registered
800 Posts
AHH, i did not know this.
Most who use computers don't. There is no signature, thanks button, etc. But what matters is that we got the clutch setup out in the open.

·
Premium Member
12,259 Posts
The O.P.er now knows why we suggest one mod at a time so when something goes wrong the cause can be reversed or inspected.
Running with the air box open removes the breather mod for engine power production.
I don't think something is wrong in the engine either, not yet.
A shim kit isn't a good explanation of what you installed, so;
To get back on tack, what is your pulley ratio and roll-out of the tires. They are two very important factors, and if you can, measure your buddies tire roll-out too for comparison.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The O.P.er now knows why we suggest one mod at a time so when something goes wrong the cause can be reversed or inspected.
Running with the air box open removes the breather mod for engine power production.
I don't think something is wrong in the engine either, not yet.
A shim kit isn't a good explanation of what you installed, so;
To get back on tack, what is your pulley ratio and roll-out of the tires. They are two very important factors, and if you can, measure your buddies tire roll-out too for comparison.

Explain tire roll out?
The shims were just the washers between the primary.

·
Registered
191 Posts
What is a brian Farr super sheave. That’s new to me.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Explain tire roll out?
The shims were just the washers between the primary.
For the shim, in other words, how many mm of shim did you add?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i have an epi gold spring, 8-450 weights(14g w/cover), and a Brian Farr "super sheave"
Why the gold over the white?
I went with 16g I wonder if mine are to heavy?
Will it wheelie with this setup and what’s your max speed?
I’m not looking to wheelie like a dirt bike I just want my torque back.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Why the gold over the white?
I went with 16g I wonder if mine are to heavy?
Will it wheelie with this setup and what’s your max speed?
I’m not looking to wheelie like a dirt bike I just want my torque back.
gold because the bike still sees spirited woods action not just straight mud. plus i wasnt having belt slip in the stock configuration so i didnt see the need to go so heavy. (i did see where epi has a pink spring now - stronger than white)
yes it wheelies, will stand straight up with a good butt bounce.
my max speed per stock speedo is 50mph.

my bike has no lift and the shocks on softest setting, so it squats A LOT before the front end comes up. people dont realize that there are a bunch of factors when determining why a bike will or wont wheelie.
your weight, susp. setup, accessories, w/t combo. etc.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well i night have found one major issue. Went for a ride this weekend and the valves are ratling like crazy. I mean it will barely get out of its own way. So she’s going to the shop with 51 hours on it. Quoted at $400. Just my luck ?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts