Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 93 Kodiak 400 and it has no spark, dealer I bought it from says the pick up coil is low on the specs when tested..

So I was thinking of changing the whole stator, but what I read the cheaper stators are a gamble . So I was thinking about just changing the pick up coil ?

· Premium Member
13,001 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
Parts availability may determine your path.

· Registered
49 Posts
I looked, and you can download a manual for the yfm400fw free at manualslib.com.

It shows the pick-up coil resistance spec as 171-209 ohms, and the source coil at 270-330. I suggest you begin by checking those for verification.
There are also instructions on how you can check the other components in the ignition system, including the switches, primary and secondary coil, etc. I'd check everything you can before you start buying parts. It's in chapter 8. There's also a complete wiring diagram.

I hope you find what you're looking for.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok so I ordered a new stator and assumed I was getting a decent quality stator but not so sure. So I checked the stator (in the box) with an ohm meter and the pick up coil is reading 433 Ohms this is over the High side. Do I use it or send it back ?

Thanks

· Registered
49 Posts
The manual says that if it's out of spec (171-209 ohms), it's faulty and to replace it (see attached image from the yfm400fw manual).

I'd send it back and get one that meets specs. At least then you'll know it isn't the problem. If you put this one in and your problem continues, you won't know whether the problem lies elsewhere, or if it's the out of spec part you just put in.

Organism Font Rectangle Line Parallel

· Premium Member
9,713 Posts
As it's resistance far beyond the limits I would send it back.
A good source for stators and related ignition parts is RMStator
I have had good luck with their products. You will find that some of their parts are sourced out of China. The parts I have received looked and tested to be good quality.
They have a shop in Canada but shipping was very fast.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As it's resistance far beyond the limits I would send it back.
A good source for stators and related ignition parts is RMStator
I have had good luck with their products. You will find that some of their parts are sourced out of China. The parts I have received looked and tested to be good quality.
They have a shop in Canada but shipping was very fast.
Ok so I contacted RM stator and they told me they are building them with 450 ohms resistance to help with cold starts.

So I think I should be ok.

Thanks for the replies and help

· Registered
13 Posts
I picked up a 93 Kodiak 400 and it has no spark, dealer I bought it from says the pick up coil is low on the specs when tested..

So I was thinking of changing the whole stator, but what I read the cheaper stators are a gamble . So I was thinking about just changing the pick up coil ?
Just a simple FYI.. don't buy parts... you can test pretty much everything yourself.
Had same issues .. tested all.. end results.. 2 melted ground wires, one live wire from the regulator, bad connector to the CDI.
Once you have the specs, simple testing.
Also , could be your REVERSE or KILL switch relays.
Just unplug them one by one and try checking for sparks.
They can also be tested easily
anyways maybe you already are good to go.. if not I can send my my downloaded instructions one by one.

Best of luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts