Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 kodiak that I rebuilt the top end on and Tried to jump it to start, but after I tried to jump it, it won't crank over. The neutral light is on, but nothing happens except for the oil temp light turns on when I push the start button. I used a screw driver to jump across the terminals on the starter solenoid and it cranks slow so I replaced the starter solenoid, but I'm still getting nothing when I push the start button. It cranked over fine before I tried to jump it after the top end rebuild. I checked the fuse and it's not blown. What could be causing this thing to not turn over?

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
How good is the battery? Fully charged?
Are you sure you got the timing correct?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Check your kill switch if the red light comes on also as your pushing start button it’s like dezz said or the kill switch I have same ride I’m working with good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sure the battery is charged, I made sure of that. With the kill switch, are you saying to make sure it's off? I know it's off, or are you saying there's a way to test if it's bad?

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
I'm sure the battery is charged, I made sure of that. With the kill switch, are you saying to make sure it's off? I know it's off, or are you saying there's a way to test if it's bad?
If the kill switch is off, then it will not crank over or start. Make sure it's on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it's on, and I can see the neutral light lit up. What else could it be and how do I test it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I turn the key to on, the neutral light comes on, and when I push the start button the oil temp lights up but the engine doesn't even try to crank over. I don't hear any kind of clicking or anything else happening, just silence. The kill switch has a run position and a stop position. I tried it in both positions, just to be sure, and got the same results both ways.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
little bit of an update. I found out that if I jump across two of the wires on the white relay then it will crank over when I push the button, but it does not have spark when I do that. I tried replacing both the white relays and the CDI but it still does not spark and only cranks over if I put the jumper on the two wires of the white relay. Any other ideas of what this could be?

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
There might be a chance you broke a wire in the harness during the top end rebuild.
Start testing to continuity in the stater button switch circuit. You may have to remove plastics to fully inspect and chase wires.
If you can find a factory service manual, that would be most helpful. It will have the wiring diagrams in it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts