Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I just bought a 400 Kodiak, knowing something was wrong it just not sure what. Easiest way for me to explain it is the transmission seems to be locked up. As in you can't roll it. You can, however, push the foot shifter down and roll it as far as you care to. Any thoughts of what to look for. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
12,343 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
I think you have a clutch problem, to know this get the transmission in neutral (not engaged) to see if the bike rolls freely. If the transmission shifts through the gear easily and won't roll when in gear with the clutch relaxed by the lever, then there is something wrong in the clutch assembly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, I'm not following you on the clutch lever. I didn't think it had a clutch lever. I know it has clutches. I've not really had time to look at it. I'm going to try to explain better what's going on. It will not roll unless you push down on the foot shifter and hold it down. You can release the foot shifter and it stops solid. Still sound like clutches? All of this with the engine not running, of course. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
12,343 Posts
I used the word lever while thinking of your system, which is a mess to write about.
Foot shifter, or lever, when moved lets the gearing disengage and it rolls until you let go. Can you find the neutral position and the bike will roll? You need to find the part that is hanging up, the gears or the clutch pack or bad wet-clutch shoes or one-way bearing. Computer diagnostics is tough but we get lucky most times.
I figure you'll need a f.s.m. then make time to remove the side cover to see what's going on as you move parts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again for the reply. I got to piddle with it a little today, about 15 minutes. The shift lever does move seemed like 4 up 4 down. May have been 3. I was kinda rushing. I have a service manual on my laptop. Maybe I'll get a better look today.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update. The bike will roll backwards without pushing the shifter down, just not forward. I suppose I don't know enough about how it works to understand. I just can't get it in my head. Would it shift to neutral if I was to remove the clutches? I just don't know. I'm just hoping I don't have to split the case. Thanks for any advice.

·
Premium Member
12,343 Posts
I bet you have a problem in the wet-clutch. Learn how to get to that system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As soon as I get time. It's killing me not knowing and not being able to look at it. It's still going to be a few days, but that's my first plan take the clutch cover off.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would want to know more about the bikes history or condition,, beat to shit and rode really hard possible could be internal tranny failure with chipped gear or junk bearing. There is no clutch lever on this bike let’s clear that up, but they all have some sort of clutches or wet clutch plus a bunch of gears that could cause issues. Unless your super mechanically inclined that tranny internals can be tough. Depending on how cheap you got the bike might be worth paying a shop 150$-200$ bucks to give you a good diagnosis would be money well spent seems like in your case being so busy and all.

I just keep coming up with questions, strong “clicking shifting” sounds when shifting the gears with shifter lever?? Does the bike start when you hold the hand brake?? Does the bike turn over at all?? Does it have lots of miles or hours?
You can never give us enough info, either way good luck and be safe. Keep us posted.

-Marshall- Somewhere in Florida 😎

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey you all. I've found a problem, maybe the problem. I was working on the wheeler yesterday and had my dad with me. He starts shifting the H-L-R shifter. Lol and behold he puts the shifter between high and low and the wheels turn both ways, forward and backward. Is this just a case of the cable needing adjusted? Thanks as always, be in touch soon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts