Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replaced the oil in my ATV and now I smell oil burning which it didn't before. I used automotive 10w30 full synthetic. I used the same oil on the previous oil change without issue. I had researched the oil before to decide if I needed to pay up for ATV oil and there were many posts that stated automotive synthetic oil would be fine. Now I'm not sure what to do. The only thing I did different this time was replace the filter cartridge rather than clean it and I believe it was the same brand of oil.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
did you install the cartridge backward by mistake?
did you overfill it?
I don't think so. The filter opening goes toward the motor and the oil level is bang on the full mark. I think it took 3 litres. I think this is correct as I followed my manual. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Automobile oils are not compatible with your wet clutch.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I don't think so. The filter opening goes toward the motor and the oil level is bang on the full mark. I think it took 3 litres. I think this is correct as I followed my manual. Your thoughts?
check compression and if it's low, add a cap (oil jug cap) of oil into the cylinder through the spark plug hole. test compression again, if it is higher. then you need to replace your piston rings.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Automobile oils are not compatible with your wet clutch.
Depends on the oil though, there are many automotive oils that are jaso ma certified.
Rotella t4 and some t6 just for example.

But just just any synthetic auto oil isn't wise. He needs to say what oil he actually used

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I recently replaced the oil in my ATV and now I smell oil burning which it didn't before. I used automotive 10w30 full synthetic. I used the same oil on the previous oil change without issue. I had researched the oil before to decide if I needed to pay up for ATV oil and there were many posts that stated automotive synthetic oil would be fine. Now I'm not sure what to do. The only thing I did different this time was replace the filter cartridge rather than clean it and I believe it was the same brand of oil.
Exactly what synthetic automotive oil did you use?
Not all are compatible. And just because you used it on last change and it was fine doesn't mean it's ok, it can take so time to start seing issues when using wrong oil.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts