Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just completed the 200 mile service on my 2014 Grizzly 550. The factory really likes to over torque the drain plugs and oil filter. The manual stresses not to over torque but they have them on so hard you think they will never come out without breaking something. By the way the valve clearance was fine and needed no adjustments. I was expecting this but decided to check it anyways. It appears the exhaust valves would be hard to adjust from lack of room to work in the area. The rear dif did have a slight amount of very small metallic particles in the fluid.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2014 model was the same way. Thankfully I'd read about the drain plug issues here and purchased new gold plugs in advance. Actually had the rear drain plug partially strip trying to break it loose. No valve adjustment was needed thankfully on mine either.

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
It's good to check the valves, glad you did because on a new machine, they can actually get tighter. It's rare but if you're the lucky guy to have it happen, you sure want to catch it on the first service. :icon_ goofy:

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
The drain plugs were probably torque properly at the factory. I seems that the drain plugs alone with many other parts and pieces get tighter over a period of time.
Dissimilar metals react differently though heat cycles. I torque the lug nuts to 40 lbs I'd bet they are closer to 50 when I remove them the next time. It is a hassle but you could crack the plugs open when they are hot. Then wait for everything to cool down before you drain the fluid.

I adjust the valve on the 700 at 8-9000 miles it was running a little sluggish but started okay. I just adjusted the a 15000. But this time I was haven't trouble with it starting. I was misled because it was throwing a code that indicated a bad coil, my fault. Each time the intakes were tighter. The exhaust has never moved.

The 450 has over 10000 miles and it runs like a top. Have never adjusted the valves.

·
Registered
856 Posts
you guys sure that it isn't the dealer that cranks these down as part of their "prep"? Don't they fill the fluids on new machines?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you guys sure that it isn't the dealer that cranks these down as part of their "prep"? Don't they fill the fluids on new machines?
I never thought about that. I assumed the differentials were filled at the factory but what do I know? You would think they would at least have the drain plug in at the factory and the oil filter on to keep dirt out.

·
Premium Member
9,288 Posts
Adding fluids at the dealership makes sense when there are dry weight and wet weight spec. listings.
Does Yamaha still publish these different specs.?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
My valves on my 2012 were never adjusted in over 15,000 miles , they were checked at least twice or maybe 3 times . Unless I notice a issue with my 16 I will never check the valves .

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I never thought about that. I assumed the differentials were filled at the factory but what do I know? You would think they would at least have the drain plug in at the factory and the oil filter on to keep dirt out.

Yes there filled at the factory .

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
The drain plugs were probably torque properly at the factory. I seems that the drain plugs alone with many other parts and pieces get tighter over a period of time.
Dissimilar metals react differently though heat cycles. I torque the lug nuts to 40 lbs I'd bet they are closer to 50 when I remove them the next time. It is a hassle but you could crack the plugs open when they are hot. Then wait for everything to cool down before you drain the fluid.
Maybe this is why some people have problems and others don't. I haven't ever had problems with the plugs, but I always get everything warmed up before I drain it. Making sure you have the right size Allen and that it goes all the way in are key. When the aluminum case heats up and expands faster than the plug it makes sense that is easier to brake loose.

I believe since they started assembly in the US they ship everything filed but gas. When they shipped overseas they couldn't even oil the filter IIRC. Another reason you need to check everything over when you get it home, since they are already filled I doubt the dealers check them, they just assume the factory did it right. Like most of us assume the dealer did it right.

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
Maybe this is why some people have problems and others don't. I haven't ever had problems with the plugs, but I always get everything warmed up before I drain it. Making sure you have the right size Allen and that it goes all the way in are key. When the aluminum case heats up and expands faster than the plug it makes sense that is easier to brake loose................
That's another good point.

Clean the Allen socket out with a awl or small screwdriver. I then spray some wd40 or brake cleaner in the socket.
This is important....the sockets are metric.
Use 6 point sockets on the hex style bolts and plugs.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Yes there filled at the factory .
This is correct, basically the assembly consists of installing the wheels/tires, inflating them, and adjusting the handlebars up from a folded down position. The rest is just the PDI check.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts