Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I have been a Grizzly owner for about a year. I purchased what seemed to be a good running wheeler during my test. It did go into reverse when I tested it out. I put the unit in the truck and brought it home. I went to put it in reverse at home to back it down the ramps and nothing. I noticed that when I put the shifter in R-reverse the neutral light comes on. It seems like the shifter may be out of step. When I push it forwards to 4 low, it grinds a bit then goes into 4 low. When it gets really hot, it has decided not to go into any gear every not and then.
Truth is I had big plans for this rig to hunt and explore my land when I bought it then other things got in the way. Now I am ready to try my hand at finding the gremlin that is causing this issue and know that this is the best forum to learn from other owners.

Thank you for any guidance/ideas that you may have for me to start this fix.

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
Check the shifter linkage. More importantly, check the rear part (transmission side) of the linkage for wear. These had movable parts with a spring on the lever at the transmission side of the shifter. These parts wear out and create shifting issues that you can not rig out. You'll need to replace the end assembly if its worn. I've replaced several.

Additionally, inspect the reverse lockout cable for seizure, stretching, general proper operation. This cable goes from the foot shifter to the shifter box. In order to shift into and out of reverse, you need to push down on the foot brake. Do what mist people do....remove this lockout cable from the shift box and zip tie out of the way (or remove it completely). Remove it from the shifter box using a 12mm wrench.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check the shifter linkage. More importantly, check the rear part (transmission side) of the linkage for wear. These had movable parts with a spring on the lever at the transmission side of the shifter. These parts wear out and create shifting issues that you can not rig out. You'll need to replace the end assembly if its worn. I've replaced several.

Additionally, inspect the reverse lockout cable for seizure, stretching, general proper operation. This cable goes from the foot shifter to the shifter box. In order to shift into and out of reverse, you need to push down on the foot brake. Do what mist people do....remove this lockout cable from the shift box and zip tie out of the way (or remove it completely). Remove it from the shifter box using a 12mm wrench.

Thank you very much dezz, this is where I will start. I have faith in Yamaha products, I have raced yz's yzf's and R'6's all around New England. It's my brand.
It seems the shifter will not go any further backward, it bottoms out and the neutral light is on. It seems it isn't even getting to the revers slot. The really strange thing is when I tested it and reverse worked fine, not sure how this could have gone bad on a ride in the back of my truck only about 30 miles.
The machine overall is in great shape so I am hoping this is a small fix. I will update after trying your suggestions. Again thank you very much.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts