Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Grizzly has no spark. Ignition coil ohmed out ok, as did the Generator (Pulse coil and Source coil), kill switch and main switch also checked A-OK. Before purchase a too expensive CDI (don't understand why the 660 is a lot less, when looks more complicated) was checking wiring. The four connector from the generator to the CDI, three of the wires (red, white, and green) all go to the four connector to the CDI, but the brown wire from the generator seems to go to the eight pin connector. Have a wiring diagram, just shows the 4 wires from the pulse and source go to the CDI, but not with what connectors. Can't find out where the fourth wire to the four wired connector to the CDI is coming from. Wiring colors are somewhat hard to make out with 100% accuracy. Is this right? Thanks

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
On the stator side wiring connector (square 4 pin connector.....not round), what is the resistance across the red and white wires? You should be getting a reading of 459 - 560 ohms.
What is the resistance across the brown and green wires? Should be 270 - 330 ohms.

Reactions: Bubblehead

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
Have you tried a new spark plug? Or did you Che k for spark using the spark plug?
Have you checked the position of the kill switch? (you be surprised how many times I have seen this before. It happens more than you think).

With the 600's, the most common components for a no spark issue is either bad Pulse Coils or bad Stator. Most of the time it's the Pulse Coil. If the Pulse Coil checks good (like yours), most times this means the Stator is bad.

Of course this is the usual suspects. It does not mean this is the exact problem with your bike.

Reactions: Bubblehead

·
Registered
389 Posts
Did you check the spark plug cap resistance? I don't have the specs for a 2000 660, but the later FI units are 10.0 K. Usually, when they go bad, they are open.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Checked and ok 9.8K Ohms. Where does the CDI get power from? The source coil and the CDI changes the ac from the source coil to DC? Anyone have the schematic for the CDI? Thanks

·
Registered
143 Posts
Check the primary resistance and secondary resistance on the coil to the plug, in the manual I sent you, check the pulse coil resistance, check the stater resistance, last thing is the CDI,no test for CDI unfortunately, on ebay now for $99.00. Mine was intermittent, use a impact gun for the crank shaft bolt,you can put a screw driver between the two openings of the pull start cog the 600 grizzly is known for the little pulse coil by the stater,the three Phillips screws are loctite in for the stater, use a impact screw driver , you may have to apply heat from a solder gun on the screws to get them loose,you can also heat the phillips bit with the torch 3 to 4 times and it will transfer heat to the screws,same with the pulse coil,you will have to heat the screws to remove them. Apply loctite to reassemble on all screws for the stater and pulse coil (5), put on a new side cover gasket and fill in the notch where the rubber grommet goes with high temp RTV,in the manual it shows where to apply the RTV in the slots,if everything checks out ,the other cause is the wire harness runs along the frame by the gas tank, only about a half inch from the muffler guard, mine was burnt there after hours and hours of searching for the cause and replacing cdi cause it was intermittent, burnt grounded out wires are a number one cause.make sure you Torque all the bolts when you put back together,very important I think the crank shaft bolt is 36 ft lbs, the manual I sent you has all the torque specs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the info rttrich: Already had the manual. Will definitely keep in mind the torque and Loctite requirements. Heading to FL for the winter so won't have time to look at it until April.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey bubblehead, I'm having the exact same issue. Did you resolve? What's the prognosis? On another note, my 2000 Grizzly 600 was given to me by my brother. He's a retired sonar technician. Pat Johnson Heard of him? Thanks,
Chris

1 - 11 of 11 Posts