Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping to get some technical assistance. I'm working on an older Kodiak 400 that won't try to start. I'm pretty good electrically and have dug in pretty deep using the service manual I obtained from the forum. The wiring diagram seems to match exactly what is on the machine, so I'm pretty confident it's the right one. My brother owns the ATV and brought it to me after it blew the 10A ignition fuse. He had ordered a new CDI as he determined (I don't know how). I put the new CDI in and it still doesn't try to start. The fuse is now good, and everything I've checked looks fine. The CDI controller won't enable the starting circuit cut-off relay. If I ground the wire from the CDI to the relay, then the ATV will turn over. It still doesn't run, but I'm not sure if the CDI isn't enabling the ignition coil, but that's secondary at this point. I can't figure out why it won't enable the starter.
I have ohm'd the pick-up coil and stator coils to the service manual spec
I've checked the start switch and engine stop switch
I've checked all of the start safeties, brake switch, neutral switch, reverse and park switches
I've checked the 2 diodes
I've ohm'd the ignition coil and checked the ground
I've checked all of the wires that go to ground to assure they have good continuity
I even ordered another CDI and installed it just to make sure we didn't get a bad one....

Still no go

Anyone see this before, or know a sure-fire way to test the CDI controller?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
First thing first, does the starter engage and turn the motor when you start? If no, take a look at your starter and bypass the signal and the 12V if it turns. That way you know the starter is partially good. Look it you have some 12V coming in when you start. Did you test the plugs if they give a spark when the motor is turning?

·
Registered
40 Posts
3 things to get a motor going. Motor must turn, once it turns it must gives a spark, once spark is there it needs air and gaz. Once you have all that make sure you have a good compression. These are just the basics of course, you may need to go deeper but basics first.

·
Premium Member
7,218 Posts
Hey...Kelly in MO...Welcome to GC from Wisconsin.
You ohm out the fuses or did a visual?
If the fuses are good. Check out the ignition cut off relay. It is between the starter relay and the CDI. The wire you are grounding maybe bypassing a bad relay.
If you have spark, fuel and the engine is turning over but not starting. Check the valve adjustment.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, thanks for your input guys. First, I've checked all the fuses, all good. I know for fact it is the ignition cut-off relay keeping it from turning over. I also know the CDI is what energizes the cut-off relay. I can ground the wire coming from the CDI and the relay energizes allowing the motor to turn over. So, that tells me the starter is good. I've not checked the ignition coil yet, but first wanted to get it to turn over. What puzzles me is why the CDI box isn't allowing it to turn over. Why is it keeping the cut-out relay off? If anyone knows what inputs the CDI needs to see in order to energize the cut-off relay, that's what I need. I've checked the obvious things like the neutral switch, brake switch and park switch, all are working properly and properly grounding the wires to the CDI. Tonight since I can't get past that part, I'm going to check the ignition circuit, coil and spark plug.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You probably ground the Yellow/black that coming out of the CDI. So to have the ground to energize the cut off relay ( yellow/black) coming out of the CDI you need the black wire grounded ( cdi box ground), you must be sure there is continuity in the "Engine Stop/Run" switch when the switch is at the run position. Black/white wire at the CDI should show ground when ok. When you apply front brake, green/yellow wire at the CDI shoud show ground if continuity is good at the front brake switch. The white/black from the neutral switch should show ground at the CDI if working properly.

If you have all your grounds at the CDI it means all your switch/relays works properly and you should have your ground yellow/black wire coming to your cut off relay. If some grounds missing, check wich wire and replace or repair the relay or switch associated.

Let us know how it goes

·
Premium Member
7,218 Posts
If you are grounding the Y/B (yellow black) wire from the cut off relay to the CDI. It appears that this is bypassing the neutral and front brake switches/relays. One of these circuit must be energized to close the cut off relay.
Consider testing the switches relays and fuses for those circuits. Relays are best tested remove from the circuit.
You could possible permanently bypass these safety features however I personally wouldn't recommend it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
FrankL said it best. but remember the circuit in the CDI for the starter inhibit has nothing to do with the CDI working. They just put it inside the CDI for convenience. If the black/white wire is grounded it will not crank and also will not have a spark. That sounds like your most likely culprit, the kill switch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts