Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the atv is working good decent machine for being older. We bought it off a guy selling it so he is like got some issues with it.
1st the starter is going. It makes nasty metal on metal noises and I haven't pulled it off yet to see if there is damage to the teeth.
2nd and most important to me is the front brakes. When riding the atv I will use the front brakes cause the back ones are gone. But after riding for a bit the front brakes get stuck. They will not disengage so I'm riding around with the front brakes enguaged sightly the atv still runs and drives but the brakes are sticking. They get so hot the brakes start smoking you know when they are sticking cause you let off the throttle and almost come to a dead stop. They stay this way for a bit then stop sticking it happens almost every time I run it. I can tell you that both sides are sticking cause when I splashed with water both sides boiled off.
Anyone run into this problem before

·
Registered
5,148 Posts
Sounds like the Master Cylinder needs to be rebuilt, or you have a failing flex hose. Both will cause the issues you are having.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What should I look for on the master cylinder.
I'd hate it to be that the screw heads are messed up.
If the flex brake hose was bad wouldn't the whole system not work at all?
What should I check on the master cylinder ??

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Sometimes the hose will collapse or even degrade and break down clogging the system up.

First things first, pull the cover of the master cylinder and make sure it isn't gelled up. If someone put in the wrong DOT brake fluid in its a mess, and could cause your issues.

You can clean and inspect everything piece by piece and flush the old fluid out really well if you want, but in my experience it seems if one component goes the rest shortly follow. I usually rebuild/replace every component if failure was from age/neglect.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx I'll be getting home next Wednesday. I'll go ahead and check fluids and lines worried about the screw heads on master.

Is there any kind of hex head screw adjustment on the calipers that you know of.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts