Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on a 2000 Yamaha grizzly 600 and I am having a starting problem. I have put in a new battery, new starter relay, new neutral switch, checked rear brake switch, fuse, main switch, handle bar switch, starting circuit cut off relay, and when I press the starter switch the oil temp warning light comes on and will not start most times. I have the original Yamaha service manual but still no luck. Has some one had the same problem and any ideas to fix it. Please let me know, thank.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When the wrong lights come on, it's sometimes a grounding problem.
I thought that also, I found out that the 2000 Yamaha Grizzly is grounded on the motor and I added a ground wire from the left hand side of the motor to the frame and still no luck. When I push the starter button the quad will turn over for a couple seconds and then nothing(once in about every 15 times that I hit the starter. I was in the Yamaha shop today and talked to the service dept. and I hope I can find out what is wrong with it.

·
Registered
2005 Grizzly 660
31 Posts
From a troubleshooting standpoint, maybe you start at the starter, and work your way back toward the handlebar switch, testing every component again (even those you replaced). I presume your battery has plenty of juice and/or has passed a load test?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the response, I am tracking everything(wiring) with a multimeter as it has a new battery and I load tested it,. I have new battery, new starter relay, new neutral switch, checked out rear brake switch. I am talking with our local Yamaha dealer now, thanks and any other ideas that you might have that can help me?

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
Just going to throw this out there, when 98 had a no start it was the coil in the stator assembly, dealer replaced the stator and it has been fine since, if you have a manual there is a way is test it, I have never done it, maybe you could search that and find other threads.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sounds to me like more troubleshooting needs to be done amigo and with an actual shop manual (not Haynes or Chilton but Yamaha) there is definitely steps to rule things out.
For me sounds like the starter or handlebar switch,, or even a broke or corroded wire. Have also seen the pods (speedo) cause similar issues when failing.

Before you start swapping parts, try to drill it down a little better. If it turns over some then there is a lot of things that ARE working properly. So could be something simple like battery or connections at battery, solenoid. Any corrosion clean it, charge battery fully slow charge and check connections. Working from starter to battery to switch might be a good idea.

Either way man good luck, be safe and keep us posted to any changes or findings. I’m also curious what led up to the problem or is this working on a bike that’s been sitting what’s the history?
-Marshall- somewhere in Florida 😎

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am working on a 2000 Yamaha grizzly 600 and I am having a starting problem. I have put in a new battery, new starter relay, new neutral switch, checked rear brake switch, fuse, main switch, handle bar switch, starting circuit cut off relay, and when I press the starter switch the oil temp warning light comes on and will not start most times. I have the original Yamaha service manual but still no luck. Has some one had the same problem and any ideas to fix it. Please let me know, thank.
I went through it all on my 99 Grizzly 600. At times it fired up and ran perfectly but others especially after exposure to moisture it acted very unpredictable. After trying everything you have and even a new CDI box I discovered that the main wire harnesses had melted due to its original placement close to the exhaust inside right side of the frame. After repairing and rerouting the harness I have a flawlessly running machine and 500$ worth of parts in stock.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts