Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been going to colorado on 4 wheel trips for the past two years, taveling between 8600-12000 feet. Last year, quad ran great until we tried to cross a stream. When the water level got to the middle of the wheels the quad bogged down and died. Pulled it out and found an inch of gas in the air box. Emptied and dried it out and it started right back up like a champ. Drove around and had to cross that stream again. Again, died in the same place once the water got high and caused too much resistance. Rinse and repeat, started right up and continued on my way. In Texas I have no problem putting it in water and driving around. This year, I'd rather not have to strip down and get in that water again. Any suggestions of changes I can make to the carb or quad so this doesn't happen. FYI, I have holes cut in the air box lid that I remove as we go up in altitude. I don't have a stock carb so I'm not sure if I can re-jet. Was thinking of a dial-a-jet but not sure if that will fix the problem with the fuel filling in the airbox. PLEASE HELP!!!

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
I drilled holes in my air box lid for better air flow, and carry tape to cover the holes if needed for high water.
I learned the 660 gets plenty of gas, so more air is needed thus the holes. I tried to jet down which didn't work well, so maybe hit the water faster :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ridgway. Maybe I just didn't have enough holes drilled to get the airflow needed. I'll add a few more this year. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
I didn't think to say, you may not need the extra air in TX, just here...and this is what I have.
The 660 air box inlet is under the gas tank cover and not to big in size, so drilling these holes more than doubled the area for air to enter the filter.
https://flic.kr/p/fKjh1X

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, in Texas I keep them covered and spray the tape with flex seal. I don't have near that many. Only 6 3/4" holes. I found a TPI valve by Thunder products that I think I'm going to try. Thunder Products TPI Valve. Thoughts?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts