Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 kodiak that will not turn over. Battery is good. Turn the key hit the button and it does nothing. I have figured out I can ground the yellow/black wire on the relay and the engine will turn over but I cannot get power to the ignition coil so I have no spark

·
Registered
2000 Yamaha Kodiak 411 4x4 Ultramatic
20 Posts
Could be any one of a number of things. Is this a new problem or did you just buy someone else's problem? I have a 2000 Kodiak 400 which I bought used and not running, and just went through this. I found multiple issues mostly related to age. Check your battery connections, and also the ground cable where it bolts to the side of the transmission. Pull apart inspect, clean, and reconnect every electrical connection you can find. There are a lot of them under the speedometer, some behind the left side engine cover, and some near the fuse box and CDI, not all are related to the starting system circuit but there are quite a few. Fuses is an easy check, the main 30A (one is a spare) on the starter relay and the ignition fuse both have to be good. Do you hear a relay clicking when the key is turned on? You should hear a relay click near the fuse box under the seat when the key is turned on with the machine in Park or neutral. Is the correct indicator light on with the trans in Park/Neutral/Reverse and key on? The starter will not engage unless the trans is in park or neutral, and will engage in high/low/reverse gear only if the rear brake lever or foot pedal is depressed, assuming the brake switch is good. The contacts in the starter button could also be corroded. You can carefully disassemble the switch and check/clean the brass contacts, also check the engine stop switch contacts and headlight switch contacts at the same time. It sounds like the main switch, battery, and starter relay are probably OK based on what you are reporting. Hopefully it is just poor connections somewhere or dirty contacts in the switches. Unfortunately the CDI module does control the starter circuit by activating the starter cutoff relay, based on inputs from the switches mentioned above and below.

I strongly recommend that you get the service manual for your machine (digital usually can be found free online or buy the paper version), and a decent multi meter. You will need to check in this order (according to the manual), the main and ignition fuses, battery, starter motor, starter circuit cutoff relay, starter relay, main (key) switch, engine stop switch, neutral switch, rear brake switch, park switch, starter switch, the diode, and all wiring connections. Some of these items already test good based on your information, but start at the beginning to avoid missing a critical step.

If you get it to crank over with the starter button but still have no spark, check components in this order: (note duplication, skip if the component already tested good previously) fuses, battery, spark plug, spark plug cap resistance, ignition coil primary/secondary resistance, engine stop switch, main (key) switch, CDI pickup coil resistance, CDI charging coil(not the battery charging coil), wiring connections, and if all that tests good, according to the manual, you are looking at a defective CDI module.
I ended up cleaning the starter button contacts, replacing the CDI module, ignition coil, and starter brushes.

hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
9,851 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
This is the first time I've seen a threaded opened by a new member and first answered by another new member (both first time posts).
As there are no replies for a month It seems the kodiak forum topic did not appear to most of us looking at grizzly threads.
Sorry you had to wait a month for help, this doesn't generally happen around here.
If the suggestions don't get you going, I suggest a factory service manual. Look here;

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey, I'll take that as a compliment! I've more or less just finished resurrecting a 2000 Kodiak 400 that was literally a $100 purchase. Multiple problems including no spark but that's another story, thought I'd chime in with a little help for the guy based on my recent experiences.
Hopefully I didn't step on too many toes, figured I'd just stick to listening most of the time, but this case seemed forgotten and I had something to offer.

·
Premium Member
9,851 Posts
Help when you can.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I am working on it for a friend. He was riding it and stopped and it was idling and then it died and hasn’t started since. My first thought was CDI box but he has bought 2 new boxes and new relays and those didn’t help the issue. Can either of you tell how I am supposed to check the brake and neutral switches.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The cheap offshore CDI modules are known to not enable the electric start. The switch test procedures are in the service manual.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts