Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 660 Grizzly, front left axle keeps popping out of the diff about 1/2”. Replaced axle with an East Lake, still doing it. Replaced the circlip with the new Yamaha style, still doing it. Anyone else have this issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,658 Posts
I haven't had your problem, and suggest you look for something not right in the front end geometry.
The axle might be pulling out due to excessive travel due to worn suspension parts like bushings, or a broke/bent shock mount, a bad ball joint. a loose shock mount, bent a-arm or.....who knows what.
If there is excessive parts wear, the steering should be different, but this might be so minor you have not detected it yet. Even a bad wheel bearing can cause problem that are hard to discover.
I would jack the front end up, under the skid plate evenly, to see if one tires drops further than the other. They should drop the same amount/distance.
Let us know what you find.

Reactions: 2002660Grizz

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Think I found the issue... top is East Lake groove vs the bottom OEM groove. Funny, everyone else with an 02 grizzly running East Lake doesn’t have this issue.

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
I would maybe xall them to see if that is right

·
Premium Member
7,915 Posts
The distance of the grove to the end of the shaft is fine. The distance from the shoulder of the splines to the grove is more critical.

Pay close attention to that the clip is installed correctly. This the cause of most axles popping out.
A plug vent line can contribute.

A worn out differential would be the last and worse cause.

Reactions: dezz

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There’s a 1mm difference from the splines to the groove. The East Lake is the shorter axle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts