Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,
Can someone PLEASE help me out with the info from Grizzhopper that was posted many years ago. His web site is long gone and I can not find the info on the web.... I need to know how to over ride both the reverse and diff-lock limiters. Everytime I hit water with my Grizzly it sputters. Thank you very much for any help!

·
Premium Member
10,658 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
You have an ignition problem if every time you hit water she cuts out. It might be the plug boot is on wrong, not sealed to the head. I've seen that before.
Hit water and hold the over-ride button, see if that stops the cutting out.

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
You have an ignition problem if every time you hit water she cuts out. It might be the plug boot is on wrong, not sealed to the head. I've seen that before.
Hit water and hold the over-ride button, see if that stops the cutting out.
2002 does not have an override button unfortunately. That didn't come until 2005 (or maybe 2004.....I forget)

His problem is most likely steam entering the intake. Common problem with the 660. Actually, pretty common with the 550 and 700's too. Even the new and newer ones.
It should clear up after 10 seconds or so if he can keep the engine from stalling.

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
But to answer the question of reverse override, simply remove the wire from the reverse sensor and ground it. Its located under the airbox, and has a single wire going to it, with a flat blade connector. Done.
Reverse light will never illuminate again, but you'll also have full power in reverse.

If you want to put a switch in the system, open up the wiring harness just above the fuel valve switch. You will find a green with white stripe wire. There will be a bullet style connector there. Make up a Y-Splice to wire in a switch to ground. Then you can simply flick a switch for bypass mode. Or keep the switch open for normal operation.

·
Premium Member
10,658 Posts
Stand corrected on the over-ride button.
Didn't grizzhopper write about grounding the circuit?
Steam can do it, or water in the plug hole.
This guy had it happening in the deeper water, there was no steam rising, the engine runs cold in this. The water was over the head, in the plug hole and the engine was cutting out. He almost drifted into the tree in the side current.
https://flic.kr/p/fwYN7A I parked in a hole, got off, to see if she would float or stay in place. These things will run under water if they get air and gas.
https://flic.kr/p/fwJQWe I hit this stream doing over 20 m.p.h. to see what happened, she didn't start cutting out.
https://flic.kr/p/fwN5HR

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah I’d be leaning towards water in the plug boot or other end at coil maybe,, could also be the carb vent taking on some water as well at that depth, intake boot might have a loose clamp sure could be a lot of simple tings to cause it,, steam is common as an issue like this but I think this one steam isn’t involved more of the bike is taking a little water with the air sounds like it the plug. Either way I would definitely check and grease both ends of the plug wire and double check intake clamps and Airbox, then maybe go slash around and see what happens ?? Either way be safe and let us know what you figure out!! Good luck hope it’s easy 👍🏻😎

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input guys. It is not steam or water around the plug both of these things have been addressed. It is water in the front diff plug.... I have put tubes of dielectric grease in them and still no luck. I can find a thousand articles about "Grizzhoppers" cure for the diff-lock limiter but there is no Grizzhopper web page anymore. I just need to know how to wire fix the wiring to eliminate the diff-lock limiter. Thank you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts