Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Finally got it to idle good after adjusting the float but I believe it’s got a backfire or misses when I’m about mid throttle just cruising would the float have something to do with that

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Stock exhaust it’s got some cheap eBay air filter that seems kinda thick I have a uni filter that I was about to put on the only thing done to it is a upgraded cdi box

·
Registered
49 Posts
I highly recommend the OEM carb,, eBay carbs and calipers are junk. Seriously get that OEM carb really cleaned out even run some carb cleaning brushes through some ports and definitely use compressed air and take it all the way apart. Clean every hole and crack and corner you can and tighten it all back up nice and easy checking for air leaks along the way again. Obviously fresh fuel is a must, I moisture there a little causes a lot of issues. New filter or add inline filter maybe.
Then once it’s all ready to start, make sure it’s in neutral and have that idle tuned out a good bit 5-6 turns, start the bike with choke if needed now essentially should be over revved and then you tweak it back down with the idle screw to a normal sound, and feather the gas some see what happens.
Sounds crazy I know but if valves haven’t been adjusted that never hurts just a pain.

Just totally sounds like fuel related and you about got it.
Good luck and be safe;; keep us updated hope something helps along the way.
Happy New Years folks!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
2002 Yamaha grizzly 660

Ok I bought it off a friend and when it would get hot it would continuously stall when. Unless the gas was feathered now after replacing carb, petcock, airbox, spark plug, and adjusting the valves it stalls all the time when it’s given gas and it will sputter at idle until it eventually shuts off at this point I have no clue what it could be thinking the carbs junk or I should try rebuilding the stock carb. Thanks for your time.

Here’s the video
Check for air leak between carb and intake port on head. You can spray carb cleaner or use alternate fuel like a propane torch to blow propane around the boot to see if it sucks in the gas and change its rpm. Do not light the torch just allow the propane to glow round the boot as the engine is running.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Finally got it all right changed plug was black readjusted air fuel screw rechecked plug after a long ride clean burn no more backfiring at mod throttle smooth idle cleaned stock carb replaced all the rubber orings for anyone wanting to know 3 turns out from seating screw on air fuel screw check your float level and make sure the float is sealing tight replaced air filter with stock one. Thx for the help

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
One last thing do any of u get a metallic type look on the top of the dipstick I changed the oil and filter and didn’t see anything in the pan and it’s won’t stick to a magnet it almost looks aluminum I was thinking it could be clutch material

·
Premium Member
12,490 Posts
There are no aluminum friction/wear parts in a clutch.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts