Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my 04 Bruin I picked up cheap last summer. Bought it as a non-runner for cheap.

Day I brought it home...

Changed the oil and a new filter, poured some gas in it and tried to start it.....nothing....I couldn't get fuel into the carb, so eventually I pulled it and found a hard vanish like material coating most of the inside of the carb. The needle and seat were glued shut and took a couple days of soaking to get it free. Once cleaned I re-assembled and it fired right up. Drove it around the yard and everything seemed OK.

Decided at this point I would change the diff fluids....front was pretty good, but rear came out chocolatey. Figured some water had got in so drained and re-filled. Drove around the yard again and then figured I should check the rear brake since there seemed to be very little rear braking.

This is what awaited me when i got the outer cover off the brake....

And inside...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Well I thought perhaps this was all my issues were....couple new seals and good to go...Nope!

Pulled the rear axle and noticed more problems with the diff. Open the diff and found much wrong. :(

Well that was not what I had hoped to find. So out came the whole rear axle assembly and a tear down of the diff.

Bearings looking a little rough...;)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I priced out a new ring and pinion locally at $650, and then bearings and seals would have been well over $1000! So I did a ton of research and found cross references for the ring and pinion and ended up getting a nice used diff from a 99 660 Grizzly for $60! So then it was just seals, bearings and new brake hardware.

But while waiting for all that to arrive I decided to do some fixing to the ugly fix of the rear trailing arm, which had been cracked and repaired previously.

Before....

After removing the big piece of angle, and cleaning up the rough welds....

And all fixed up....

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't have the right 4 prong socket for pulling the big nut on the pinion, but managed to make a socket for a 4wd Dana 60 front axle work. Just had to file a bit off the outside edge of the prongs so it would fit the nut.

Then lots of heat cycling, PB blaster and wrestling got it out.....

Pinion not looking so hot either.....

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Didn't take any pics of the re-assembly of the diff and axle, but all new bearings, seals etc, plus new brake hardware.

Almost done....

Done and ready to go....

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was into the complete rebuild of the rear diff assembly for under $400...pretty happy with that! Then I ordered a few things the quad needed.....new battery, starter relay, NOS taillight, New pull start assembly, new O-rings and seals for the pet-cock on gas tank, used axle skid plate, some missing wiring etc. And the last thing I did before winter storage was a new carb.....the old one would leak, and it just didn't run very well. Starts up better, runs smoother and has more pep then before.....;)

And now it sits under it's cover until spring.....more to come as the project progresses.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Well done! Looks good.

Reactions: thrashingcows

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Looks like a good project! You accomplished a lot in 29 minutes ;-)

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
Nice work!!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Projects are the best. You did do alot very fast! Just want to mention one thing. I apologize for being a butt, however, the diff you got would have been from a '99 Grizzly 600. The first year for the 660 was not until 2002.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Projects are the best. You did do alot very fast! Just want to mention one thing. I apologize for being a butt, however, the diff you got would have been from a '99 Grizzly 600. The first year for the 660 was not until 2002.
You are right.....I got that mixed up, thanks for the correction. Best to have the right info in case others want to use it for their own nefarious goals....:wink2:

Tried to edit the post....but the post is already archived and I can't.....Hmmmm....never been on a forum that locked out the posts so quickly....or am I missing something?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts