Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kodiak sat in garage all winter. Only started occasionally to freshen up battery charge. Last weekend check the oil level and was amazed to find the crankcase full of milky oil. Checked the radiator and found it almost empty. So I was thinking head gasket and started to tear down to remove cylinder head but thought I would check waterpump first. There was no coolant leaking from the pump at the drain port but I decided to remove it anyways. After removing the pump I find the drain port was clogged. The coolant seal was cracked and failed. So I theorized the plugged port would not let the coolant drain out and was forced into the crankcase by cooling system pressure when hot. When I removed all the pump parts for rebuild I had to scape out crystallized residue form inside the pump and out of the drain port. Most likely from coolant stop leak products from previous owner. And previous owner did not use a gasket only sealent. I drained 2 rounds of oil changes with filter and been checking the coolant and oil levels while running. So far so good.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
Thanks for reporting your issue along with a fix. It could help someone later on.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rode about 28 miles today at Carolina Adventure World and happy to report no oil in the coolant and no coolant in the oil. Rebuilt water pump working good.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Thanks for reporting your issue along with a fix. It could help someone later on.
X2.
Love it when someone does a thread right.

Reactions: reogem
1 - 4 of 4 Posts