Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help guys asap ! I have a 2004 Kodiak and it will only run with choke on. I have cleaned the carb multiple times and even have new carb on it and it still will not run. It does sputter some and it the spark plug is new

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Hi. Get a friend to help so they can either watch the spark plug or crank engine over, pull the spark plug, make sure the threads are touching the cyl. head, with the wire on, crank it over, see if there is a good strong blue/white spark jumping between the electrodes. If so, put just a little gas, a very little, like a tablespoon or two, directly into the spark plug hole. Put the spark plug back in as quick as you can and crank it over. If it fires up then dies, it's not getting fuel. If the spark test fails, there is something wrong with the ignition. These are very basic tests you can run to get you going in the right direction. While you have the plug out, borrow a compression tester and check that too, or just hold you're thumb hard over the spark plug hole with the plug wire OUT OF the way. Crank it over, if it you cant keep your thumb on the hole, then it has at least some compression. This is old school backyard mechanic stuff, but it works. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
Have you checked for proper fuel flow to the carb? Remove the hose from the carb and turn on the fuel valve. It should flow steadily.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I just re-read you're post. If it runs only with the choke on, it is not getting enough or any fuel in normal mode.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Right on Dezz, simple check.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts