Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 2005 bruin. Trying to solve a positive camber issue on the front right tire. I can't find anything bent. I've noticed the angle on the end of the top a arms are a little different near the ball joint. I know it's hard to tell from pictures. But the side with the sharper angle is the side with the camber issue. Is that a arm correct? Everything else seems to be identical.

Attachments

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
Welcome to GC. Ya might want to pull the front tires and get a better look at all the components if you haven’t already. More help will be along shortly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome. In the process of restoring this bruin. It's 05 350 4x4. Runs really good. Previous owner just beat on her hard and never did any maintenance as far as I can tell. Got a trip coming up in four weeks so trying to get it in tip top shape.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
Keep checking back. We have some gurus in this department that should be around before long. @dezz. They’re probably all out riding. lol.

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
I can't really tell anything from the pictures....except the Left side has nails for cotter pins, and it "looks" like that a-arm has damage on it. Again, hard to tell from the picture.

I would stand the bike up on it's back rack and have a good look at the bottom of the bike. When you do this it gives you a good visual condition. You'll see if anything is not straight in this view.

If nothing seems out of the ordinary, put the front of the bike on jacks and remove front wheels. Start taking measurements on both sides of the bike of the relationship of each A-arm to the frame. Compare the Left and right side measurements.

Some of these older Bruin/Kodiak's had a slight camber out at the top of the wheel at full droop of the suspension. So you may be looking at the wrong side.
Do not assume anything at this point. Let the measurements do the talking.

Reactions: okbear

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
This is kinda interesting as I have a friend with a simular issue on his 2002 400 Kodiak. Both front wheels have the same weird camber issue. I never looked at it too closely but his brother inlaw (very skilled mechanic) spent a fare amount of time trying to find something wrong and eventually gave up.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,701 Posts
I suspect a broken wheel bearing.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,206 Posts
This is kinda interesting as I have a friend with a simular issue on his 2002 400 Kodiak. Both front wheels have the same weird camber issue. I never looked at it too closely but his brother inlaw (very skilled mechanic) spent a fare amount of time trying to find something wrong and eventually gave up.
I had a 2000 and 2002 Kodiak that had plenty of miles on em and I never had camber issues on either of them. Looks like a problem to me like something is bent , curious to see what the OP finds.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Once I get time im going to get back out in the garage and take some measurements. Wheel bearing did cross my mind. The wheel does have a little play in it. But the other side has a good bit more play in it which I suspect is a wheel bearing. But it's not showing a camber issue. I can tell it's been like this for a while because the tire is wore on the edge.

·
Premium Member
10,701 Posts
I have had bearing fail, and with the wheel on I couldn't feel any wobble, and with the wheel off only a VERY slight movement of the hub in my hand.
Then when I pulled the hub the bearing feel in pieces on the floor.
I do both front bearings at the same time. I've noticed when one is bad the other is not far behind.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Haven't made it back to the garage due to work. But I remember on that side if I pick up on the bruin the shock will raise a good half inch or more. On the other side with good camber the shock barely moves when I pick up on it. At the time I just made a mental note for new shocks. But I'm wondering could that cause the tire to push out at the top if the shock is being pushed down from being worn out?

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
Haven't made it back to the garage due to work. But I remember on that side if I pick up on the bruin the shock will raise a good half inch or more. On the other side with good camber the shock barely moves when I pick up on it. At the time I just made a mental note for new shocks. But I'm wondering could that cause the tire to push out at the top if the shock is being pushed down from being worn out?
This gives indications to worn ball joints and/or wheel bearings.

·
Premium Member
7,929 Posts
Hey..jaywclark..Welcome to GC from Wisconsin.

I do agree with dezz and ridgeway look at the wheel bearing and ball joints.

I don't have the specs on the bruins. The 450 Griz is built with a 1°+ camber. Might have been to compensate for bigger ridewrs loading the suspension down..
So maybe the other side is worn to a zero or neg. camber? The entire suspension should be checked out.

One member "poorfolks" a few years ago modified the arm mounts to move the camber in on his 450 to a neg camber.

·
Premium Member
7,929 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I pulled the upper a arm and the ball joint is wore out moves very easily in the socket. And both wheel bearings are shot. I have ordered wheel bearings and ball joints. Soon as they come in I will replace and report back. Hopefully with good news.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
I pulled the upper a arm and the ball joint is wore out moves very easily in the socket. And both wheel bearings are shot. I have ordered wheel bearings and ball joints. Soon as they come in I will replace and report back. Hopefully with good news.
Thanks for the update and please do report back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I replaced ball joints and wheel bearings. All the ball joints was completely wore out. The bearings was in ok shape. Seem to fix the camber issue. But I'm awaiting another ball joint because I damaged one while trying to replace one. So I won't know for sure until I get the other side back together and put it back on the ground. But I also found I'm missing the retaining clip on the end of one of my front axles that lock it into the diff. So I'm trying to locate one of them local but not having any luck so I may have to order one of those.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts